1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If you were in charge of the NHS...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Nov 10, 2017.

?

Give me the job of being in charge of the NHS and I'd

1. Buy up all the golf courses to build more hospitals on the land

11.1%
  2. Insist that patients had the best drugs that money can buy

44.4%
  3. Find a cure for dementia

44.4%
  4. Train more medical staff

66.7%
  5. Introduce another tier of management to expand my empire

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Employ the world's finest chefs in the staff canteen

33.3%
  7. Use the money to attract the prettiest nurses in the world

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Spend it on the legal fees involved when defending emplyee grievances in employment tribunals

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Invest it all in the National Lottery

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Do a runner with it

11.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

What plans would you be making to invest the forthcoming extra £350 million per week on?

Will that be enough to build more hospitals? Would you spend it on more expensive drugs? Another tier of management?

What do you reckon you'd do if this fictional amount of £18,200,000,000 was added to your annual budget?

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Demand the £350 million a week promised to the NHS if we leave the EU.

JosieWhitehead likes this.
  3. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I'd build some hospitals out of town. You could get to them easier and there would be no parking problems.
    Then I'd put a wrecking ball to the management structure. There'd be people caring for patients and their one manager. just like that.
    I'd obviate silly shift work so that medical staff had sensible days off to adjust between shift patterns.
    I'd incentivise study for the medical profession, and I'd subsidise accommodation for those who choose that route.

I'd basically find a sticking plaster for enough of what's broken so that the public felt that they had a health service which prioritises....wait for it.....health.

4. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Lead commenter

I'd d my level best to pay a reasonable amount for drugs/medicine. It was just in the news that one drug company has vastly increased the cost of a drug for thyroid problems; so much so that the NHS have decided to withdraw prescribing it. As the medical profession are uninterested in the predominantly female problem of thyroid disease as it is a women's problem, nothing will happen. I have just found out something about underachieve thyroid condition, something I had diagnosed at the unusual early age of 31. It would seem that maybe I should have been on a different replacement hormone for the past 30 + years...... people in the know apparently buy this from Turkey, over the counter, as it is so much cheaper over there.

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Remove whatever their equivalent of teachers' performance targets are, because we all know what damage that culture's done in education.

Introduce an individual financial penalty (via income Tax Coding, NI, or Benefits system) for those who attend A&E as an obvious consequence of binge drinking.

smoothnewt likes this.
  6. Duke of York

I have to confess at being somewhat disappointed by the lack of responses to this simple question.

Over half of the nation voted to leave the EU on the back of the campaign it would benefit the NHS and imagined we'd be flooded with ideas how.

Where are all these responses?

What's holding you back? Surely there must be something you felt the NHS was desperately in need of that you'll be able to convince me your vote wasn't just about the xenophobia which accompanied the fictitious NHS promise.

7. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

For me the greatest worry is the way the staff are leaving in droves / not taking up posts due to the uncertainty surrounding the status of EU nationals and Brexit.

Yes, we need to train more nurses in this country (and re-instate their bursary) but in the meantime we need the status quo that existed up until recently.

EDIT: spend some of the money on training nurses but with the proviso they must then work for at least 5 years in the NHS.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  8. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

We need to retain more UK trained staff. Someone needs to talk to the doctors and nurses about the factors that drive them to leave and resolve those. I don't think the 24/7 service plan devised by Mr Hunt based on a misinterpretation of statistics has helped.

JosieWhitehead and wanet like this.
  9. FrankWolley

Not so good if you don't drive! Or your family don't so can't visit you when you are in hospital!

10. FrankWolley

Maybe your choice of options is, quite frankly, too 'jokey' to attract serious responses...;)

11. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Established commenter

Having a very close, daily association with a big London hospital over the past month with someone very dear to me (still ongoing), I would simply want to see enough nurses on every ward so that very sick patients could always have the care and attention they need when they need it ... simple things, like not waiting half an hour for a drink, a bedpan, a painkiller. Having someone to answer your bell when your sheet is rucked up and rubbing and you can't straighten it yourself. Having someone who has time to help you wash and feel fresh if you are bed-bound. Simply having someone who has the time to stop by your bed at least once and hour to make sure you are OK. Feeling comfortable and cared for goes such a long way to aid recovery.

12. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

We need to ensure the Amazons and Starbucks of the world pay their bloody tax! And the money going into the NHS. With a massive increase in the elderly population owing to increased life expectancy and the demographics of the Baby Boomers and Lost Generation hitting old age, the NHS needs more money.

I voted to get better chefs in - maybe not world class ones but better food = faster recovery times. Its such a no brainer! Prisoners get better food than the NHS and while the human rights brigade wont let prisoners starve, this is wrong.

13. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

At the moment if you don't drive and you want to get to an inner city hospital you still have a public transport nightmare. Both in cost and in speed and efficiency.
    Outer limits hospitals are the solution-far easier to get to whether you drive or you don't, because with my NHS wand I'm going to provide a high frequency shuttle bus, and that will never be stuck in traffic jams because there wont be any where my hospitals are. If you place hospitals this way, you can get three or four around each large town, and each one will in turn serve several towns. Like satellites. Which don't contribute to congestion, pollution and stress.
    Got it taped.
    In 2017 there is absolutely no logisitcal or environmental sense to having a hospital in the centre of town. However most hospitals that we do have were built in a time when there was.

14. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

The most common complaint I hear is the NHS's attempt to operate like a car production line, with most staff limited to undertaking just one or two procedures. It wastes time as people have to hang around for ages to see the next person along the line and nurses in particular (but also some junior doctors) complain that their skills are not being used, and their job is therefore becoming boring - which is why a lot of them end up leaving the service.

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I'd get a group of doctors together and ask them what was needed to make the NHS work smoothly. Then I'd get nurses together and ask them. Then I'd get the admin staff together and ask them. Then I'd identify 5 things we could do that month from the list and do them. Then 5 more things... and I'd regularly check that what was being done was actually working and if it wasn't I'd scrap it.

Cos I'm not a doctor so I don't know.

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  16. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

Yet there were more people working in the nhs in July 17 than July 16.

17. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Not medical staff, that is for sure. Last year in my hospital all wards were fully open if not fully staffed and an extra winter ward was opened for 6 months staffed by the already short staffed existing wards. This year the staffing crisis has got so bad, 2 wards have already cut 10 beds each and the winter ward won't be opening due to lack of staff. Our local minor injuries clinics are also facing reduced hours and even closure due to lack of medical staff. Sickness was covered by agency staff (mainly foreign staff) probably 80% of the time, now there aren't even enough agency staff and shifts are frequently left unfilled.

18. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

3,000 more doctors, 1,300 fewer nurse and midwives. (FTEs)

19. Duke of York

The choice of options was intended to be satirical, incorporating as they do, a combination of things the money could be spent on and things it is more likely to get spent on.

The thread though, was intended to be about trying to identify what the public percived the NHS needed if it was conned into Brexit by Boris' bus slogan.

20. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I don't think there is any "if" in it, is there? Anyone (even me) would lie through their teeth and say they were conned if it means more money for the NHS without more taxation.