1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If you were future you, what would you tell past you?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Milkandchalk, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

Mine would be, wait a month or two before buying a flat. Then the market will crass and you'll pay £200 less per month on your mortgage.

2. Don't study biology at uni, it won't get you anywhere near where you want to go..... but do do the childrens camp as you will meet your husband there.... and don't take dianette, it will make you hormonal, depressed and a little crazy.

I do wonder where I would be if I had chosen my degree more wisely.
    But I am happy now- so it doesn't matter really.

3. Nothing

My experiences, good and bad, have made me who I am

Temptation would be to tell me to save, save, save but ... with any luck I would still spend on the fun things I have done [​IMG]

4. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Only a little? Lucky you!
    Dianette lead to my biggest regret!

5. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Your mother is right - that awful loser with the long hair is <u>not</u> good for you and will waste three years of your life (and a substantial amount of your hard earned).
    Put down that cigarette. It's not big, it's not clever and you look stupid.
    Ignore your father and do the degree <u>you</u> want to do.
    Travel more.

6. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Do not become a teacher!

7. well, maybe more than a little... is amazing how something so small can change you so much. Horrible thing- sure things would be different if I had never taken it. Oh well!

8. tangerinecat

tangerinecat New commenter

Stop spending money.
    You can eat what you like now - but you'll have to stop when you have kids, cos you'll end up a porker.
    Stand up for yourself more.

9. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

The results of various lottery draws, cup finals, etc and then advise me to place large bets on them.

10. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Do not allow the doctors to medicate you when you are in your early teens! Do not start taking those tablets! Tell them NO!....Their diagnosis is totally wrong! (It's High-Functioning Autism....look it up!.....and don't worry you will eventually have the diagnosis - it just takes a while!)...The meds will totally screw with your metabolism - you'll be on them for years and they will do nothing but leave you obese....oh and they are also addictive! ....(and small comfort, but jump forward a few years and they will stop prescribing those meds to children!)
    When you come to choose your O-levels - do not accept the decision that you can't study sciences because you are just a girl!
    Oh and that awful thing you thought you could never tell mum - you really should trust her. Eventually you will. You'll tell her. And she will believe every word. She is truly amazing.

Most importantly - if you ignore what I'm saying - just know one thing.....you'll be fine. You will eventually stop the tablets...you will start to lose the weight...you will study for your BSc with the OU (and pass with honours) and you will eventually talk to mum.....things might look dark - especially when you hit the late teens/early twenties - and they get worse!....but you come through the other side! Hold fast to your faith - and give mum and extra kiss now and then!

11. Listen to the Head of 6th Form when she asks if you're sure you want to study A Level Biology because it's mainly Chemistry. You might be good at GCSE Biology, but you're rubbish at it at A Level.
    Actually consider whether you want to stay at that school to do your A Levels. I know that you're friends are all there, but your real friends will still be in contact with you 12 years later, so it doesn't really matter.
    Other than that... I think every choice I've made, for good or bad, has led me to where I am now. And I mostly like where I am now. The things that I don't like I am learning from and trying to see the positives.

12. And the stuff I would tell myself is seemingly inconsequental, didn't change the direction of my life, but had an impact.
    Namely:
    1) London is not your home town. Put your wallet inside your rucksack when getting on that bus, instead of leaving it in the open front pocket. Somebody will steal it.
    2) Either wait for the bus, or walk up the main road. I know it's a short cut up a nice residential street and it's still light even though it's nearly 10pm. But you will get mugged at knife point and it's bloody scary.
    3) I know it's an amazing house, but it's haunted and you will come to hate it.

13. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Uh oh - now I'm intrigued!!

14. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Yes, me too. Pray tell Sparkly duck

15. Several years ago a friend and I were searching for a house to share with 2 other girls. A house that the letting agency insisted we look at fitted the bill perfectly. It was a huge Victoria semi - detached, 3 storey "villa" in South Manchester. 4 decent sized bedrooms, massive living room, dining room, not to mention the multi roomed cellar. It is the only time I've ever walked into a house and immediately felt at home.
    After a while strange things kept on happening....
    The alarm going off in the middle of the night when it wasn't set and the Virgin TV receiver going haywire could be explained by faults.
    The strange knockings on doors, sound of doors being shut and footsteps on the stairs when nobody else was in the house cannot. Nor can the banging coming from empty rooms.
    My Yorkshire born and bred boyfriend, who doesn't believe anything he can't see hated that house and always got a weird vibe from it, as did my friend's Yorkshire born and bred then boyfriend, who also doesn't believe in things he can't see and is a volunteer mountain rescuer and is adept at getting dead bodies off hills in the middle of the night.
    By the time we moved out we just felt on edge and couldn't wait to get out of there; it was almost like the house had turned on us.
    If somebody can give me a good explanation for the stuff that happened then by all means. But the only way (and bear in mind I'm a rational person!) I can explain it is some sort of haunting.
    P.S. Sorry to hijack... but you did ask!

16. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

That's an interesting story. Thanks for telling. Stuff like this fascinates me. I started a thread on Scotland Opinion about haunted schools ages ago, I'll go find it and post the link.

17. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

18. I find it interesting too, but had never really believed anything until I lived in that house. We were going to ask the landlord about it (he'd lived there himself) but decided we didn't want to know.
    Loving the school ghost stories!

19. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Things seem bad - actually things seem bloody awful but it won't be like it forever. It will get better and you will be genuinely happy.

20. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Cheers for the story, sparkly. I love stuff like that. [​IMG]