1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If you wear glasses...

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by anon3372, May 16, 2011.

1. is there a trick to them not steaming up as you are cooking and not being able to see what you are doing?

2. Of course, it may be grease on my glasses......

3. There is that as well...
    And rain - god, what a pain.

4. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Wear contact lenses?
    Blind as a bat (is that the right saying?) with them, I am.

5. I feel absolutely queasy at the thought of poking things in my eyes!

6. egyptgirl

I used to Cosmos, but they used to fog up and go all smeary when I ran for the train. Anyway, it gets easier after you poke yourself in the eye 100 times! [​IMG]

7. I can't yet and we don't know if I will be able to! (will try later in the year, although I cannot even begin to imagine poking something into my eyes...)
    I am still getting used to glasses. I can now almost judge where the kerb is.
    But this steaming up is a royal pain in the ****.
    Stir a stew - boooooooof. Blind.
    Take something out of the oven - booooooooof. Blind.
    Take the glasses off - boooooooooooof. Blind.

8. egyptgirl

I've been there. Mr EG used to ask me why I didn't take my glasses off when I was cooking.
    Well darling, because I won't have any finger or unburnt skin left [​IMG]

9. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Erm ... you don't poke anything into your eyes!

Contact lenses just sit in the tears, held there by surface tension.

10. But I have to stick my finger there to get it in! *shudder*

11. catherinaaa

catherinaaa New commenter

I suppose I have learnt to live with the fact that when I take something out of the oven, I will be temporarily blinded Ditto opening the dishwasher after it has just finished it's cycle.
    I understand your point about lenses CQ, I didn't have them for years as I have such dry eyes but now have disposable dailies with extra moisture in them.
    If I happen to be wearing contacts, I always enjoy drinking out of a mug more as it doesn't bash my glasses!

12. ah yes, a mug of tea is difficult too.
    As is reading - I cannot read with my glasses (they did warn me, I need to wait for my left eye to catch up before I can have varifocals) so I have to shove them up my nose or down my nose, depending on whether sitting or lying, but if I take them off, I can see nothing else.
    What a faff. Sitting in a restaurant, can't see the menu with glasses, can't see the food without them.

13. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I have two pairs of glasses.
    My eyes aren't suited for either contacts or varifocals - it has to be two pairs of glasses.
    Shopping is a nightmare! I need my distance glasses to see what is on the shelves. Then I pick up a can and look at the label and it's a blur! I can't honestly take my reading glasses with me and swap glasses every time i want to check the list of ingredients! So I resort to pushing the distance glasses to the bottom of my nose - which is a problem in itself - I have a little button of a nose, push too far and the glasses drop! (So I have my glasses on a safety cord!)

14. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

That's one of the reasons I never wear my glasses. Contact lenses mean you can use your automatic blinking mechanism!

15. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Ha, ha! Welcome to my world... [​IMG]
    I'm still trying to get used to these blasted toric lenses. I nearly fell down the steps to the library last Friday.

16. How the hell did we manage to find one another in WB?
    I know - twas the dogs and the kids.

17. anon468

anon468 New commenter

*chortle* [​IMG]

18. Do you have soft toric lenses? I tried them about 15 years ago when they were first available and just couldn't get on with them. They would steam up and go blurry if I went outside, and it was cold, from a warm room. I've got toric gas permeable lenses and alternate these with glasses. Being very short sighted is such a pain, I'd love perfect vision [​IMG]

19. anon468

anon468 New commenter

I tried the soft (disposable) toric lenses, Suze. Couldn't get on with them at all. I've got toric lenses in my specs and they aren't quite as bad, but I'm still having issues with steps/stairs.
    I've never known perfect vision. I agree, I would love to be able to see perfectly.
    And why, why, why does it always rain when I've got my specs on instead of my contacts?