1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If You Want to Improve Your Teaching, Let Students Co-Plan Your Lesson

Discussion in 'Education news' started by JosieWhitehead, Feb 21, 2016.

1. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

2. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

If this is not done in lesson time, when would it happen? Is it not just another time vampire? Meetings, intervention, clubs and now joint planning sessions to squeeze in, when?

3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

My students are always involved in my teaching - after all they're there in the classroom with me!

4. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

It's a stupid idea.

Scintillant likes this.
  5. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

It can work 1:1. It can occasionally work on investigative projects, but with a group of 30 collective planning is heavy going.

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Great, I am sure I can fit in a couple of hours per week for this. Perhaps the students would like to come in at 7am?

JosieWhitehead and Yoda- like this.
  7. drek

drek Lead commenter

I'm confused. Are these students not actually on a course of study? What concerns me is that these students are very obviously not being given challenging work in their chosen fields, to ensure they make enough progress in their respective fields of study.

I hear staff complaining about having to show progress when their students are constantly going on trips, tired out after school duties or avoiding doing the appropriate amount of independent study, and now we are foisting more work that does not relate directly to their own responsibilities as students.

To improve teachers yet again? Is that a back door way of getting sixth formers to take on teaching assistant roles for peanuts? And convince them they will be better at it since they have had the 'training' or that they are gaining work experience by judging their teachers. Hello?

Such projects sound wonderfully airy fairy and everyone gets taken in by the rhetoric.

Scratch a few layers and they might preempt profitable policy changes to the way trust schools chains will be able to employ 16-18 year olds, who are only able to take on 1 or 2 BTEC courses at A-level, get given distinctions for half the amount of work as their peers, and thus have enough time on their hands to be used by the schools as they see fit, to satisfy a totally different legal requirement.

JosieWhitehead and Alf58 like this.