1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"If you tolerate this then your children will be next"

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, May 6, 2018.

?

Is social conservatism the new taboo?

1. Yes

25.0%
  2. No

50.0%
  3. I need to think about it

25.0%
  1. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

1. No group or belief system is immune from satire, questioning and criticism, regardless of their history or their perceived human rights.
    2. Lasting relationships are based upon trust and a sense of humour.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  2. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

It is, perhaps, the job of parents to teach children to care for those around them, whatever religious or ethnic background they come from, and I would have thought that caring for others might well be something that is taught in schools. The fact that so many young people are getting into gangs and carrying weapons on them shows that perhaps some parents are not doing this, but the majority, I think, do.

3. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Have people changed their mind the poll showed a higher no vote last time I looked... interesting.

4. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I would add a third; my understanding of others' foibles and weaknesses.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  5. JosieWhitehead

We were brought up by our parents to go to church with them on Sundays and on Sunday afternoons we met with others from our village for Sunday school and here we learnt that Jesus said: 'A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.' This was something that in our house and in our school was considered important to teach children. However, I have to add that when Mum and Dad weren't looking, my brother and I often found cause to fight. So we hadn't quite taken what we had learnt to heart. Also, there was bullying at our school and the bullies hadn't taken those words to heart either. But I have to say that our parents did try to do what they thought was right.

6. needabreak

I don't doubt many parents try to do what is right now a days.

I had cause to speak to an older former potential member a few years ago and he said that he was from a single parent but God fairing family his mother worked as a nurse and took him and his siblings to church each week. He went on to say that as a tall black young man he was targetted in his area as they thought he could be useful, he was given "challenges" to do to avoid being beaten up and as he lived in the area had little choice between getting beaten up of doing as he was told... his main escape was work, they would find little time for someone who was gainfully employed and not available for their antics.

7. JosieWhitehead

Vince asked:
    1. What social & cultural changes promoted as good, progressive and described as human rights do you wish to protect your children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews & pupils from?
    I think that many parents would agree with me when I say 'social media' and the use of the mobile phone. This is something that I'd like to protect my grandchildren from - but in this day and age, is that at all possible? I see people walking around everywhere with their eyes pinned to screens instead of looking outward at the world around them - yes, and the beauty of a spring day such as today. Do they miss this?

8. needabreak

Indeed he did, it appears I am struggling to see the links with his poll, his tags and his OP.

9. koopatroopa

koopatroopa Senior commenter

None that I can think of. Was sort of thing did you have in mind?
    An enquiring mind, respect for humanity, kindness, a good work ethic, question authority, openness to new experience, a love of books, knowledge and information, resilience, self-reliance, responsibility for others, duty. That sort of thing.
    :D

lanokia likes this.