1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"If you tolerate this then your children will be next"

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, May 6, 2018.

?

Is social conservatism the new taboo?

1. Yes

25.0%
  2. No

50.0%
  3. I need to think about it

25.0%
  1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

British social attitudes & customs have changed dramatically over the last thirty years with more changes thundering down the track towards those least able to understand the issues at stake. Leaving political party allegiances aside:
    1. What social & cultural changes promoted as good, progressive and described as human rights do you wish to protect your children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews & pupils from?
    2. What attitudes and customs passed on to you by your parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles & teachers do you wish to pass down to the children in your family & classes?
    Please consider selecting an option in the poll even if you do not wish to respond to one of both of the questions above. All responses welcome. Thanks.

2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I shall have to go away and think about this....but as a quick answer is security of life and delevoping a life style in which citizens are treated fairly and fell secure in bith themselves and it their leaders/A place where their voices are heard and their concens adressed.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

1) I'm happy with way we are moving socially and culturally in terms of how we treat each other etc. I am pleased my daughter is growing up in such times. I hope things continue to improve.

2) Do the right thing. You have to live with yourself. That's easier with a clean conscience

The only thing that worries me is climate change and the effects it is having and will have.

JL48, TCSC47 and Vince_Ulam like this.
  4. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I've heard that there is more information now being circulated today then the total amount ever circulated up until now. When you consider this include: Facebook. You Tube, Twitter etc its sounds very possible.

The problem being a large proportion of this data is of little or no use, ie: videos of cats sneezing, photos of someone;s pub lunch and tweets from Trumpton etc, It even starts to become part of news reports or a company's PR picture. People seem less able to interact with other people preferring to consult their phone for information.

Humans are social creatures (except me who would rather go fishing then talk to another human :)) but human social skills and the sense of community are gradually being eroded in this digital age.

Social media has its place, it can be useful and fun but it needs to kept in its place.

Oh and can we lose that ruddy Simon Cowell and his dreadful talent show.:p

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  5. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

"Is social conservatism the new taboo?"

Surely your perspective of this depends depends on your experience which is in part based on your location. I dare say it is in the bohemian quarters but whether this is reflected nationally is questionable and internationally variable.

6. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Thought this might help the discussion, Vince.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_conservatism

Social conservatism is the belief that society is built upon a fragile network of relationships which need to be upheld through duty, traditional values and established institutions.[1] This can include moral issues.[2] Social conservatism is generally sceptical of social change, and believes in maintaining the status quo concerning social issues such as family life, sexual relations and patriotism.[3]

Social conservatism encompasses a range of what may be thought of as reactionary positions on social issues.[4] It developed as a reaction to what was perceived as dangerous tendencies within the liberal movements toward political radicalism and a wholesale rejection of "traditional values".[5] In North America, since the mid to late 20th century, social conservatism arose as a response to federal action on social issues—such as LGBT rights and abortion—which members perceived as a threat to conservative values.[6][4] Similar to national conservatives, some social-conservatives also oppose increases in immigration.

needabreak and Vince_Ulam like this.
  7. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Umm-m, well I had to look it up anyway.

8. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I think the uncertainty engendered by social media will lead to a loss of social equilibrium and the rise of Messianic leaders and mass destruction.

lanokia and Vince_Ulam like this.
  9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

As a childless adult I'm just eating popcorn on the sidelines...

Stuff like this concerns me ... LINK ... but that's in Finland ...

I suspect that the next generation... the one presently being educated... will kickback against the social progressivism of their millennial generation elders... hard to say right now. Either way I just know I need to go mow the lawn.

Vince_Ulam and needabreak like this.
  10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

It's the Sabbath!

11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I was in a church this very morning!

Admittedly a bombed out ruin of a church... but still...

racroesus likes this.
  12. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

I would say, on the whole, that our Britishness is built on our social values, and therefore we are shocked by the amount of violence we are seeing in our cities today. Having said this, I was born in the midst of the second world war where there was a great deal of violence country against country, but in times like this you find that neighbour cares for neighbour more I would say - - - but perhaps you think I'm wrong.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  13. Vince_Ulam

Yet you've children in your family and in your classes.

What do you think they will value that our generation is abandoning?

14. Vince_Ulam

Not many schools today teach Luke.

15. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

The Alt-Right are already doing it...

JL48 likes this.
  16. colpee

colpee Star commenter

For No2 I would like my children to develop to:
    • Have a healthy dose of scepticism
    • Have a need to check facts for themselves
    • Understand that social beliefs are just that - beliefs that change with time place and circumstance, and are never a universal truth.
    • Be considerate in their interactions with others
    • Be generous to the less fortunate.
    If they can do that, they can work out No1 for themselves.

needabreak and Vince_Ulam like this.
  17. Vince_Ulam

This is a paradox.

18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well if I could guess that I'd not be on here... I'd be out investing or creating to meet that demand...

And it's not like one generation holds a consistent set of values that all ascribe too... Certainly there are values that have their moment and others that fade from prominence.

For example, Free Speech. This was relatively easy to defend once upon a time. There was a more monocultural society, there was a stronger political centre... now, we're a more diverse nation, the centre ground has fragmented torn between the rise of Corbyn and the success of UKIP and the Tory response to that... the notion of ''offence'' has become much more important to some people as they try to navigate the society we have around us... so Free Speech can seem threatening to the stability of the new society and they think it needs to be curtailed... I understand that reaction... I don't agree with it... but I can see how the shift has occurred.

I'm sure there are other examples... better examples... it's just one that is on my mind right now.

19. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

My children are septic.

20. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Oh dear.:(

racroesus likes this.