1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If you told people, they would never believe it

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by MsBuzy, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

2. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

Yes

3. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

Never saw the good captain's reply

4. Mainwaring

'Yes, snails - they track you for years and attack you in your sleep.'

And you wake up with blurred vision. Or is that caused by something else? Cheers!

(It's gin o' clock here in the hills of Andalusia).

freckle06 likes this.
  5. MsBuzy

MsBuzy New commenter

As my elderly granduncle used to say: 'The sun is always over the yard arm somewhere in the world, darling.'

freckle06 likes this.
  6. Mainwaring

I think the original idea was that gin o' clock starts when the sun dips below the yardarm but as a square-rigged ship has several tiers of sails it can be a very flexible concept. Former neighbours of ours here in Al Andalus would start quiz each other ('Isn't it time for a little sundowner, darling?') at about 10.00 am.

7. jut1233456

jut1233456 New commenter

School's who have several heads/principals come and go throughout the year, and still somehow survive, and still somehow recruit staff...

Mermaid7 likes this.
  8. Mermaid7

Mermaid7 Occasional commenter

Just downloaded your book, cheers for the recommendation!

9. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

I bought a hardback copy, and then chuckled through most of a beach holiday a couple of Christmases ago.

10. Mainwaring

Many thanks, Mermaid and yasf. For the first couple of years after it was published I lived in daily expectation of libel writs from Messrs Sue, Grabbitt and Runne but it appears that the goodies in the book liked it and the baddies either couldn't read or didn't recognise themselves.