1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If you told people, they would never believe it

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by MsBuzy, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

2. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

Yes

3. bigfatgit

Never saw the good captain's reply

4. Mainwaring

'Yes, snails - they track you for years and attack you in your sleep.'

And you wake up with blurred vision. Or is that caused by something else? Cheers!

(It's gin o' clock here in the hills of Andalusia).

freckle06 likes this.
  5. MsBuzy

MsBuzy New commenter

As my elderly granduncle used to say: 'The sun is always over the yard arm somewhere in the world, darling.'

freckle06 likes this.
  6. Mainwaring

I think the original idea was that gin o' clock starts when the sun dips below the yardarm but as a square-rigged ship has several tiers of sails it can be a very flexible concept. Former neighbours of ours here in Al Andalus would start quiz each other ('Isn't it time for a little sundowner, darling?') at about 10.00 am.

7. jut1233456

jut1233456 New commenter

School's who have several heads/principals come and go throughout the year, and still somehow survive, and still somehow recruit staff...

BlueHues and Mermaid7 like this.
  8. Mermaid7

Mermaid7 Occasional commenter

Just downloaded your book, cheers for the recommendation!

9. yasf

yasf Established commenter

I bought a hardback copy, and then chuckled through most of a beach holiday a couple of Christmases ago.

10. Mainwaring

Many thanks, Mermaid and yasf. For the first couple of years after it was published I lived in daily expectation of libel writs from Messrs Sue, Grabbitt and Runne but it appears that the goodies in the book liked it and the baddies either couldn't read or didn't recognise themselves.

11. aquabutterfly

aquabutterfly New commenter

Do you know him?

12. aquabutterfly

aquabutterfly New commenter

Did you know home?

13. bigfatgit

Yes, I did know him - he joined the ACE Club in Ma'adi and had the knack of having the wrong conversation with the "wrong" person
    "I'm the headmaster of *** school" to teachers that used to work there
    "I was in the SAS" to a former SAS trooper
    "I was a plastic surgeon in Yemen" to a Yemeni - he couldn't name the city never mind the hospital
    On being asked why his name was Colin in the ACE but Paul when he was at the Egyptian / British Businessman's meeting (trying to get cash for Sudanese refugees - it was a fiddle) "There are so many Pauls in my family, it's easier for me to call myself Colin
    It went on and on (don't forget that he taught Harry Potter) but I made the bit about the Pope and the Sistine Chapel up

14. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

After being out of my home country for 22 years pretty much everyone I know or socialize with would believe the stories. When I go back home I have learned to filter what I say because most people drift off after the third riveting anecdote.

grdwdgrrrl and colacao17 like this.
  15. Mainwaring

In my experience the eyes begin to glaze ten seconds into the first one. It must be the way I tell 'em.

Helen-Back likes this.
  16. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

I don't have a story like that, but I do currently have a school owner doing just that, throughout this quarantine period. Often very late at night. Not always butterflies, like.

treefrog101 likes this.
  17. 4019775

4019775 New commenter

The school in a former pit village in UK, one year into teaching, that made my mind up on going abroad for the first time.

Came into school and asked to attend staff meeting. Two boys had stolen a car and knocked over and killed two female pensioners in the village while driving at high speed. Head could do nothing as they were innocent until proven guilty.

Staff meeting at end of day. Head had excluded the two boys for mocking one of the grand daughters of the women who they had killed.

Myself, and new wife, were on first plane to Vancouver (when it still had the alternate hippy vibe going on and before it turned sh**).

Helen-Back likes this.
  18. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

Rego by any chance?

19. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

Yes. Couldn't get my work visa sorted for 6 months. It was a terrible place with bullying and lying and signature forging. I left after one year.

20. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Established commenter

Arrived for the induction day for my first stint in Kuwait in my 20s (when the money working in an oil school was excellent). Induction consisted of a tour around the Salmiya shopping area, and especially where to find the ingredients and hardware needed to make a rough wine, followed by a demonstration on how to make wine at the principal's home, followed by introductions to the local fixers for whisky and beer supplies.

Within a few months, it was clear about a fifth of the international workforce were functioning alcoholics, who thought working in the ME would be a great way to dry out. Another fifth were gay couples, who thought that they could blend in and live happily together in a man-dominated society. This was a time when being gay was still not as widely accepted as it is now, although as it turned out, Kuwait was ahead of its time, with more rumours of 'gay parties' whatever that means, than at any other time or place I've lived.

My first invigilation of public OCR international exams at the end of year one involved a few hundred students in a hall. All the students spent nearly two hours whispering to each other, dropping paper and picking up paper others had dropped and toilet breaks, all while the staff looked on and did nothing.

Girls were regularly abused by brothers and other male relatives, but we were forbidden from doing anything except reporting it to the principle's wife. She would then attempt to get the girl's mother in, which was never easy, for a quiet chat. It rarely stopped anything.

My second stint many years later before retirement was just for a year but followed the same pattern. No progress then. I've met few people who worked there who had anything except contempt for Kuwaitis.