1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If you really do want to reduce the number of cars/lorries on our roads.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lexus300, Jan 16, 2020.

1. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

1. What if it was made law that you could not own a car or use one on hire, unless you had an ‘off road’ parking space?
    2. What if only one car was permitted per household?
    3. What if parking over night on the streets was prohibited?
    4. What if inter city road freight was returned to rail?
    The above might address the doom mongers concerns about pollution, then again:confused:

Corvuscorax likes this.
  2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Is ulez not working then? I thought as was widely publicised it was old polluting diesel cars that were to blame and that charging owners would reduce their use and reduce pollution... I do wish they'd make their mind up about where the problem lies.

Jamvic likes this.
  3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Rule 2 would mean that we couldn't both get to work.
    That would be a bit of a snag don't you think?

4. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

The whole concept requires a rolling back from the current way of living. Fewer cars leaves many households worse off.

BetterNow and Jamvic like this.
  5. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

Point 4 will be helped if HS2 (& 3) are built to allow fright trains to use the other (current) lines more.

1, 2 & 3 would not negatively affect me, but 3) would be pretty bad news for all those living in houses built before c. 1930 which don't have space for off road parking. Their value would decline (and those with off road parking would benefit as their house value rose). Not sure how fair that is.

Incidentally why should you not be able to hire a car without an off road parking space? There are a number of car sharing schemes in London (& elsewhere, I guess) which allow you to hire a car for an hour, a few hours, a day etc and therefore help reduce car ownership. This proposal would stop them.

Jamvic likes this.
  6. atwoodfan

atwoodfan New commenter

I think the other issue is that this would punish those in lower incomes more; not every property has off road parking...

7. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

All green initiatives make people worse off. Hence the reluctance to do anything/anything significant. ULEZ was a small start and hated by many.
    (A small front garden will hold a small car)

border_walker and lexus300 like this.
  8. Morninglover

9. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  10. needabreak

But is ulez even working since nobody has spoken publicly about any improvement in air quality on the contrary it would appear to be worsening.

If there's no improvement with ulez now then it is simply a revenue gathering exercise as many suspected.

Jamvic likes this.
  11. needabreak

People will have to just walk or get on their bike to really save the planet. We all travel too much and the reality is most of it is not necessary to meet our very basic needs but is to fulfil our wants which are many. Truly we all only want to do what we would either be doing anyway (for a variety of reasons) or can impact least on our lifestyle to save... our lifestyle.

Nellyfuf2, Jamvic and ajrowing like this.
  12. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

1-3 might...............and I say MIGHT work in a town or city.
    But in rural areas it will never work, as we will never have adequate public transport.
    And I own a car and a horse lorr. So how does that work? Or people who own mobile homes. Or a work van?
    But number 4 is a great idea.

needabreak and Jamvic like this.
  13. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

1. What if you already own a car but do not have off road parking? Would you be forced to sell it? Would there be compulsory purchase orders?
    2. Why? If I have enough off road parking spaces then why couldn't I have 10 cars... it's not as if I can drive more than one of them on the roads at a time.
    3. I suppose we'd have nice empty roads at night then, when few people are driving...
    (I don't really know enough about UK freight transport to comment on 4)

What I'd suggest is;
    1. Improve public transport so that it is reliable, accessible and affordable. It shouldn't be more expensive to take a train across the country than it is to fly.
    2. Legislate better for PLEVs (electic scooters, bikes etc) to encourage more people to ditch cars for shorter journeys.
    3. Introduce multiple occupancy requirements so that most vehicles aren't just transporting the driver.
    4. Issue fines to parents who insist on driving their child to school when it's less than a mile away.
    5. Anyone that drives along the motorway without using the appropriate lane should get an instant driving ban. That alone would halve the number of road users IMO. (You could extend that to mobile phone use, speeding, whatever your driving pet hate is.)

ajrowing likes this.
  14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Not against it but is it viable with the land sales by Network Rail and the general paring back of the network since Dr Beeching? After all... look at the fuss made about HS2... building up new rail infrastructure would be costly and unpopular. Likely you'd end up with out-of-town rail depots and lorries bringing goods back and forth ...

Jamvic likes this.
  15. Morninglover

Not really going to work, though, is it?

In the pre-industrial age many ordinary people might seldom leave their village, and only visit their nearest county town once or twice in their life. Do we really want to return to that?

NB Where we live, I can walk (I don't cycle - never learned, have no sense of balance and am too old to learn now) to the doctor, the supermarket, the post office, the pharmacy or the barber. And I do.

But to get to a bigger town/library/railway station etc it's too far to walk/cycle (& dangerous) and a one way ticket on the bus is £3.20 for a single adult ticket. So the car is cheaper! When we qualify for free bus passes (it's at age 66 here), we'll sue the bus more often.

I'm sure our situation is common and any 'green' policies have to take account of this. I don't intend to become a recluse. Sorry.

NB I rather agree with Chris Packham on this:

Our population is heading towards 10 billion - and Chris Packham thinks we might need a one-child policy to save the world

We are putting a strain on the planet, but is the BBC presenter of '7.7 Billion People and Counting' right to suggest we have fewer kids?

https://inews.co.uk/news/long-reads...counting-bbc2-world-population-growth-1364343

Jamvic and needabreak like this.
  16. Morninglover

'Appropriate lane'? Matter of opinion, not fact, though isn't it? How many prosecutions have their been for this (as it has been an offence for a couple of years!)

Jamvic likes this.
  17. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

The whole carbon footprint thing is designed to tax the poor yet again. The older more polluting cars bought ten years plus down the line, who buys them?, and then has to pay all the taxes on them (except when you watch Police Interceptors)? Richer people can buy new cars that pollute less. The work infrastructure in this country is not supported by public transport for a hell of a lot of people so they have no choice, if they don't want to starve, but to drive to a place of work. None of this is being addressed, yet we are due to spend untold billions on the London Crossrail project to get a few more people in and out of an already overcrowded capital, there will be a new runway at Heathrow (ooh thats green innit?) and of course the White Elephant in the room, HS2 to get from London to Birmingham two minutes faster, destroying the countryside (trees actually remove carbon dioxide, rail lines don't!), peeing off homeowners, and just letting the richer commuters get to that very same overcrowded London a bit faster for no appreciable reason! Where is the joined up thinking? Meanwhile all the politicians are only interested in how many lies they can tell and get away with (all of them actually), feathering their own nests, getting their ugly mush on telly, and doing foxtrot alpha except for business (to help them feather their own nests). Soon, you corporate "merchant bankers" (and real merchant bankers) it will be too flaming hot for you in your tropical paradises, and sea level rise will probably sink them anyway, and here is a trusim from even before Biblical times; you can't take it with you.

Nellyfuf2, Catgirl1964 and Jamvic like this.
  18. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Many parents are dropping children at school, nursery or childcare on their way to work.

19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So our neighbours have four cars.

One is his.
    One is hers.
    One is derelict and used for storage.
    One is their sons and parks on the road.

So three in front of their house on what was their garden [now a car port] and one on the road.

Most of the houses around us do not have driveways, no garages... mostly it's on-street parking. And it's a nightmare to drive through... in my more vindictive moments I dream of double yellow lines and tow trucks. But it's an old estate, our house is from the 1930s for example.

But then they build these new estates.... and there is paltry provision for car parking. I used to live on a new estate and my property [rented] had a garage. But many of the residents had to park on the road [especially if their garage was being used for storage [I'd personally have a surcharge added to council tax for that]].

We are not building houses/estates with cars in mind...

Catgirl1964, Mangleworzle and Jamvic like this.
  20. needabreak

... because you're rich and 'we' don't like you because you are wealthier than us and its unfair, *sobs into my cup of green tea, coffee or other hot beverage (cold beverages are also available) manufactured and transported by dubious means for a company making a profit for shareholders who I dissaprove of. :rolleyes:

lexus300 likes this.