1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If you like a good Western...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Ivartheboneless, Jun 25, 2019.

1. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I think the scene from The Shootist, where Wayne heads to his final saloon showdown in a tram, and finds a car parked up outside the saloon instead of a horse, is one of the most underrated moments in movie history. The old West was gone for good, and it was Waynes' last ever movie.

artboyusa likes this.
  2. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

Totally agree. It's weird how Wayne can be so famous but still be so underrated as an actor. He really is very, very good.

3. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Er no. Wayne was not "very, very good". He got better with time, but was mostly the same in every movie, just going through the motions. In terms of "western" actors there were many better: James Stewart for one, Henry Fonda for another, even Richard Widmark. Wayne was "entertaining" and could be pretty good. Most of what he did, with perhaps the exception of the Shootist and True Grit from 1960 was a bit mediocre. We all have our preferences of course. A lot of his earlier stuff (40s) was not very good with the exception of She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, but that is a bit ruined by sentimentality and Victor McLaghlen.

4. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Glenn Ford 'The Fastest Gun Alive'. He was also in the original '3.10 To Yuma' with Van Heflin of 'Shane' fame.

Here's Jane. She's got a gun.

5. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Ben Johnson was also a brilliant cowboy. We see him in Shane as the 'sodie pop' bully but he was brilliant in many other roles.

Here he is as Sam in 'The Last Picture Show' This scene with the loss of light always reminds me of Ingmar Bergman. The emphasis for me isn't Sam. It's the crossing sweeper.

6. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

That looks quite good, but could have been filmed in the same place as Godless. I bet Ewan McGregor loved putting that big moustache on and doing the drawl, y'all. Is it on Netflix?

PS Didn't think GlennFord was much cop either. I found 3.10 to Yuma boring, but I don't think I have ever seen the other one. Most westerns shown on freeview are the same ones over and over again.