1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If you like a good Western...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Ivartheboneless, Jun 25, 2019.

1. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I love westerns and I love a lot of the music. Minnie me is denying herself so much pleasure with her blanket rejection of "all" westerns.

Incidentally, does anyone remember the Coronation Street tribute to the marvellous High Noon? A classic.

2. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I love a bit of Ennio Morricone. We all entered the registry office to some of his spaghetti western music when I got married.

magic surf bus and nizebaby like this.
  3. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Do they still shoot Indians?

4. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

We watched this the other day. At first we were puzzled and didn't get too much from it but then, as we were talking about it the next day we remembered all sorts of details. I could easily watch it again.

6. Duke of York

No they found it better to trade with them. It turned out that Indians have a passion for earrings. I know a bloke who used to be a teacher but went into the Indian earring lark when he found he could earn more.

racroesus likes this.
  7. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Not really .... but I know a good "Native American" joke.
    Young Indian brave standing outside the teepee with his grandfather Big Chief Running Nose
    "Is it true, Grandfather, that when um squaw has um papoose, brave warrior runs outside and names um papoose after first animal he sees?"
    "Like your brothers, Running Deer, Fighting Bear, Snarling Wolf, Soaring Eagle you mean, son? Says Grandfather.
    "Yes grandfather."
    "What gives you that idea Two Dogs Bonking?"

8. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Senior commenter

Wow. Cinematically stunning. Funny. Heartbreaking. Love this film.

eljefeb90 and magic surf bus like this.
  9. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I used to love Bonanza, Rawhide, The Virginian, Big Country, The High Chaparral etc when growing up. I've been on the Bonanza set too. Not sure if it's still a tourist venue.
    My first introduction to Westerns was The Lone Ranger circa 1960.

10. Ivartheboneless

When I was a kid there were loads of western shows on telly. Anybody remember Casey Jones? We all played Cowboys and Indians as kids, not understanding anything about it. Then when I grew up my first job was in a Building Society .... I was the Loan Arranger.

nizebaby likes this.
  11. Duke of York

Not many people know this, but he got his lucky break, the actor who played the role of Rowdy Yates, was always out of work and had the nickname Skint Eastwood.

I ain't seen one for ages. It's all gone quiet on the Western front.

nizebaby and nomad like this.
  12. nomad

nomad Star commenter

And I thought my puns were bad!

Ivartheboneless likes this.
  13. Ivartheboneless

See above.

nomad likes this.
  14. Duke of York

Did you hear about the cowboy who emigrated to Wales and opened a ranch at Lanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch. Unfortunately, none of his cattle survived the branding.

nizebaby and nomad like this.
  15. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

Jacques Audiard's recent film, 'The Sisters Brothers' is a fine piece of work. Recommended.

16. Duke of York

Did you know that the legal name given for when cowboys hang themselves is lassooicide?

17. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

Every Wayne movie is my favourite Wayne movie. Here's why...

magic surf bus likes this.
  18. Incommunicado

Incommunicado Occasional commenter

Two things regarding a favourite cowboy series of mine in my youth:

In the series The Range Rider - did anyone ever address the main character by name? If so, what was it?

And his trusty side-kick Dick West (all-American boy), who often ended an episode flirting with whichever girl had featured in it) - the actor who played Dick West was Dick Jones, whose claim to fame was doing the voice of Pinocchio in the Disney cartoon classic.

19. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Anyone remember Four Feather falls?
    [​IMG]

20. Ivartheboneless

I watched, or tried to, that Buster Scruggs thing. Yes the photography/landscape was gorgeous, but apart from the first vignette with the singing cowboy I could not get into the rest at all. All this shows is how a person's perception and preference differs from anothers.