1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If you like a good Western...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Ivartheboneless, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Yowdy y'all. Listen up. Bein' kinda particler about the genre an' a fan of the ol' West, I ain't rightly seen a good one that ain't hokum or trash. Ain't many been worth gettin' offa the porch fer since the Dook passed on. Anyways, folks, I seen a heck of a series on that there gosh darned Netflix called "Godless". Mighty fine piece o' writin', directin' 'n' actin'. Mr Jeffrey Daniels playin' the part o' the meanest orneriest outlaw real nasty piece o' work I ever did see. No mistake there, even has a mighty fine lady goes by the name of Michelle Dockery, who you English types may know from some stuff 'bout lords 'n' ladies in some place called Downtown, or some such.

If y'all likin' a tale o' the old West payin' homage to great films an' the ol' boys who made 'em, like The Searchers, and High Noon an' such, y'all could do a whole lot worse than wastin' a few hours on Godless. Might be a bit slow in parts, might be a little predictable in parts too, but it was a heck of a show. Y'all take care now.

magic surf bus likes this.
  2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Thanks for the recommendation there Ivar, I shall go take a look see.

Have you seen The Ballad of Buster Scruggs yet on Netflix? Also a western, and definitely in its own class.

3. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I started re-watching 'Slow West' which is tolerable but very stylised.

I still often go back to 'Open Range'.

borges33 likes this.
  4. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Shane. Come back Shane. Shane. SHANE!

mothorchid likes this.
  5. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Thursday nights! That was cowboy film night on tv. As we didn’t have a tv, I’d watch at my friend’s house. oddly I remember he liked Audie Murphy, but I can't remenmberr who my favourite was. Afterwards we would pick up our guns and escape to the fields and wood to re-enact some fighting.

Sniper rock with the big crevice down the middle starred in a few battles!

Rock.png

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I've been to John Ford Point in Monument valley. Loads of westerns filmed there.

7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

One of the best Westerns (movies, not hotels) I have seen is 'The Big Country'. Outstanding acting and magnificent score from Jerome Moross.

8. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I remember growing up with Wagon Train, but there's one episide I didn't get and my parents wouldn't explain, although they found it hillarious.

It concerned the Charlie the cook, the chuck wagon. For people who were born later than me, the chuck wagon is the one where food is cooked and prepared.

In the episode in question, A buxom young woman whispers something in Charlie's ear and he replies "No, ma'm, I said it was called the buckboard."

Actually memory is weird, ain't it? I definitely remember watching Wagon Train and remember my parents laughing. Maybe the incident was in a cartoon?

9. magic surf bus

I quite like movies that offer wry commentary on the passing of the old west and its values - The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance is a personal favourite, as is John Wayne's final movie The Shootist.

If you're into the Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns, you should definitely take a look at the source DNA of the genre, the original Django movie starring Franco Nero. Classic opening sequence.

10. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

I can watch most of the later Waynes over and over, Eldorado being a favourite, but The Searchers stands alone in its depth of character and the courageous treatment of the theme of acculturation: the 'lost' niece who resists being 'rescued' from her Indian captor. (Tony Hillerman taught me years ago about the Native American's satirical rejection of the term Native American).

11. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Deadwood's been made into a film.
    That is all.

borges33 likes this.
  12. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I hate Westerns.

13. Ivartheboneless

Well thankyou, ma'am, fer yer kind input. Y'all kinda got the idea. I found it 'cause there was a ref'rence to it in a article about something else. Godless had kinda got under the radar (whitever that is!). Y'all might get some o' the recreated shots from classics. Pussonally I saw homages to The Searchers, High Noon, Shane (or Hondo, ain't they the same), that there East Clintwood fella. Didn' eyeball no spagetti, I guess they was eatin' grits. Some mighty fine horseflesh too (they weren't eatin' that though.)

minnie me likes this.
  14. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Godless is wonderful. I loved it. Recommend.

Ivartheboneless likes this.
  15. magic surf bus

I'd much prefer it to be made into another series.

(Or "I'd much ******** prefer the ********* to be made into another ********** series by some ************** *********sucker" as Al Swearengen would say. :))

borges33 and coffeekid like this.
  16. dodie102

dodie102 Occasional commenter

Watched Godless when it was released on Netflix and I agree it is marvellous. Made me look forward to Friday nights (one of many reasons obvs) as that is when we would watch a couple of episodes. Quite heart breaking at times though...

coffeekid and Ivartheboneless like this.
  17. Ivartheboneless

Yup. They was good folks, 'part from the baddies o' course. Left a few questions kind hangin' though ....

18. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

"Unforgiven". "The Outlaw Josey Wales". "True Grit" - and I prefer the remake.

19. Ivartheboneless

Didn't like Unforgiven, preferred the Dook in True Grit, can't stand Jeff Bridges. I liked Audie Murphy but he was dogged by bad scripts. James Stewart in The Man from Laramie, Winchester 73, Bend of the River, and some others, the "Antony Mann" westerns in the 50s. That classic scene where he sends his horse into town with the bell on the saddle while he sneaks round the back to get the baddies.

20. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I watched unforgiven for the first time last month (had the DVD for years but never watched it). Thought it was a bit patchy and couldn't work out why Richard Harris was in it. The Duke's True grit is the best (I have both versions on DVD). The Searchers is my favourite Wayne Movie.