1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If you inadvertently delete your recycle bin...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by rosievoice, Dec 27, 2011.

1. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

You need that Bauble fellow. He's pretty nifty with all this interwebby stuff.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

It's really him I'm thanking in advance since he's well used to sorting out the mess I make with my laptop!

3. You could try this (though bear in mind that installing it may overwrite the memory where your deleted files are residing).
    http://www.piriform.com/recuva

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I'd bear it in mind if I knew what it meant. A bit more detail in idiot proof language might be helpful. [​IMG]
    I'm assuming that I need to retrieve it because, at some point in the future, I'd want to empty the recycle bin if I delete any other items. It seems I'm able to send stuff to the now non-existent recycling bin but I can't see where it is.

5. Are you sure you've deleted the recycle bin, and not just the shortcut to it?
    Im not sure what version of windows your on, but if u click start then search and type "recycle bin" - does it come up? If it does, you should then be able to right click it and choose save as shortcut (or save to desktop).

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

No, it doesn't. I seem to have made it disappear completely.

7. Sorry - thought you wished to retrieve files after you had emptied the recycle bin. Try this:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-vista/Show-or-hide-the-Recycle-Bin

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Thanks, dekka - I seem to have found it by going to the restore-y bit and dragging it onto the desk top. That means it probably was the shortcut I deleted.
    So I'm sorted until I do the next stupid thing...

9. Lol...what are you like? But thank you for reminding me to put the wheelie bins out. :¬))

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I'm a dead loss but not as bad as I used to be.
    At some point I'll be looking for advice about my memory problem - no matter how much I delete I don't seem to be creating any space on my disk. (that's what I was trying to do when I deleted my recycle bin) (unfortunately I still have 0 space!)