1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If you had several hundred quid, what would you spend it on?

Discussion in 'English' started by EmmaBB, Jan 25, 2011.

1. EmmaBB

EmmaBB New commenter

(For the English Department - I'm not talking Jimmy Choos...)
    Inspire me...

2. EmmaBB

EmmaBB New commenter

(For the English Department - I'm not talking Jimmy Choos...)
    Inspire me...

3. gruoch

gruoch New commenter

Spoilsport.

4. We had this same situation recently and the thing we bought that was by far the most successful was a visualiser. Amazing stuff, kids love it, management love it and it makes peer/model marking, quick feedback and motivation of students much easier...we have one in every english classroom.

Something like this... http://www.primaryict.co.uk/tts-primary-visualiser-easi-view_el00052_1805.htm

5. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

I agree with visualisers. I have one in my room and it's great. I use that and my wireless slate far more than I use the IWB.
    I'd also stock up on crafty things - pipe cleaners, lolly sticks, glitter etc. I did revision mobiles with year 11 last year, and it was brilliant! Got some sniffy looks but there are only so many past papers you can do, and they really got a lot out of it.
    And Jimmy Choos.

6. A range of single copies of things that I've wanted for a long time from catalogues.

7. EmmaBB

EmmaBB New commenter

Thanks all, got visualisers and I agree, they are amazing.

Think I might be boring and top up tatty class novels.

8. gingerella

gingerella New commenter

Hi Sleepyhead, could you expand on how to do revision mobiles - sound fab!

9. Back visualiser. Also Canopus capture device. Allows you to make mini movies as starters and/or lesson activities from DVD, TV, Sky, VHS film etc. How can any English department survive without one. Get in touch if you want a few examples and NO, I am not a salesman! ...just a very grateful user of the device. Revolutionised my lessons.

10. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

Revision mobiles are every bit as daft as they sound! I gave each student some lolly sticks, pipe cleaners, catalogue cards and string, and they had two lessons to make a mobile for Lit poetry. Some of them brought in glitter and things from home, and although people were sniffy when they saw what we were doing, there are only so many essays you can write, and all of them got something out of it.
    I got the idea from Julie Blake's book The Full English - in fact, I'd buy a copy of that for everyone in the dept. It's a fab book.

11. Hey Azael,

I would love a few examples of how you use this, how much it costs, pros/cons etc.

Please get in touch!
    choos@de-la-salle.co.uk

Cheers.

12. You have mail!