1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If you could live anywhere..

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Millionsandmillions, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Ms_Love_

Ms_Love_ Occasional commenter

@amysdad I think Nord or Astrill VPN are currently the only ones getting a decent service, but even then it's still a bit patchy.

I think if China lifted the Great Firewall they wouldn't have the problems they are currently having recruiting people.

2. MissTilscher

MissTilscher New commenter

Seoul. Perfect climate for me; lovely people; incredible scenery and easy to get around the country; very efficient; and SO MUCH GOOD FOOD.

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  3. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

Many years ago I visited the Falkland Islands. They are very, very beautiful, believe it or not, and I would go there, if I were by myself. Other than that though with my family I am afraid that Malham wins for me, and I have been to shitloads of places..........

Perce

4. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

Peru - Desert, mountains, jungle, history, food, people, climate!

5. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

South africa...awesome. im there right now. Love it

6. bead

bead New commenter

Thessaloniki. I spent a year there whilst working in Industry. Next door is Halkidiki known as Greece's hidden paradise.

tigi likes this.
  7. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Established commenter

I love Seoul and plan to move back there in the future but it probably wont be as a teacher unfortunately as i never see or hear of any schools teaching my subject.

8. StrangePanda

StrangePanda Occasional commenter

Interesting- I’ve always felt a spark of interest when I see jobs advertised for the Falkland Islands. Why are they better suited for an individual, rather than a family, do you think? Is it just the distance from... anywhere?

9. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

I think that it would be a very strange place for a family, especially one with small kids. I know my wife and it wouldn't work for her, however, it may for other people. From what I understand one can still go to bed at night to the gentle lull of exploding sheep.

Perce

Millionsandmillions likes this.
  10. moscowbore

moscowbore Senior commenter

I know people who are from the Falklands and others who worked there as teachers.

My teacher friends loved it for a 2 year stint. They had 2 young children who loved the penguins. Gets a bit claustrophobic apparently and the natives are not exactly welcoming.

My place of choice would be the Gold Coast of Australia. A stunning place as long as you never go anywhere near surfers paradise.

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  11. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Spain

Pity about the schools

12. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

It's a great city, I'm there right now!

13. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

I’m reasonably happy at my school and I know quite a few other happy teachers here... No school’s perfect!

14. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

I know. Just can't find one that seems reasonable in the part of Spain I want to be in

15. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

I live in Greece. The travel opportunity here is great in terms of being able to be at the sea in a bustling place and in a quiet mountain village all in the same day. Life is good if you can manage financially.

Having been to Thailand before though, I like the idea of living there if I weren't here. I also love New York although maybe the novelty would wear off. The USA is great though for its versatility in terms of culture and landscape

16. SPC2

SPC2 Occasional commenter

While I'm not sure if I'd want to live there, I'd certainly love to visit the Mountain West and Big Sky Country....in Summer.

[​IMG]

makhnovite and T0nyGT like this.
  17. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

I do love a good mountain. This is my vacation place and where I am at the moment. Driving to the top of these never gets boring.

[​IMG]

SPC2 likes this.
  18. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Bulgaria, of course! Here is where I am going to be this weekend...

balcony.JPG

Oman is also wonderful as well. Here are Mr and Mrs Hippo at the beehive tombs near Jebel Misht.
    21 Beehive tombs small.jpg

afterdark, T0nyGT and Kartoshka like this.
  19. sparklesparkle

sparklesparkle Established commenter

I can only see two humans. Are you behind that pile of old rocks?

Kartoshka and Mr_Frosty like this.
  20. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

1) Singapore
    2) Tokyo
    3) Hong Kong