1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If you could live anywhere..

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Millionsandmillions, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Millionsandmillions

Millionsandmillions New commenter

Where would you go? Based solely on the location itself and not on employment prospects, potential pay, cost of living or school culture. And why?

2. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Occasional commenter

The top 2 which are almost certainly unrealistic but if it's a dream scenario:

1.) Tokyo
    2.) Patagonia

3. PuRe

PuRe Occasional commenter

For me its Bermuda but I am fortunate to live my dream during the summer months, I just love the bright colours of the place and just the friendly and slow pace.

4. jomaimai

jomaimai Established commenter

Not necessarily in this order,
    • London because the culture, arts, plays... and the buildings
    • USA Midwest town because the climate, clear skies, seasons with a snowy winter, hot summer, beautiful green spring, red fall... and because people mainly look happy when they talk to each other. The trollies' wheels in supermarkets are very smooth , you can park everywhere not having to do an imposible car maneuver. Life is easy and pleasant.
    • Montevideo because the pace, everything goes slow :), and the not-updated buildings.
    • My hometown because family, climate and some of the buildings

Aggg! I need to do lots of school work. I have to stop procrastinating.

Millionsandmillions likes this.
  5. Millionsandmillions

Millionsandmillions New commenter

- the proximity to the sea is very important to me
    - I want the lush green grass and the white sandy beaches
    - I don't want to live in a big city
    - I want a long period of 20+ degrees each year, but not too many days in the 30+

So maybe the Baltics? Atlantic coast of France?

6. 576

576 Established commenter

I've always said Israel. Weather not too extreme, amazing history and cultures and I can live on falafel, also not too far from home.

But I recently went to Japan and adored it. Such calm and polite people, efficient public transportation and amazing food.

7. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

Lucky enough to live in my top choice (Tokyo). Other places we loved visiting but don't know if we would enjoy living there full time would be Thailand, Hong Kong and Singapore.

8. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

If I could alter history and make it the way it was (minus the dictator), I would want to live in Syria again.

Other than that, I can't think of anywhere I want to be other than where I am.

JL48 likes this.
  9. CoastTeacher

CoastTeacher New commenter

My top 5 countries in no particular order:

1) Italy
    2) Thailand
    3) Seychelles
    4) Greece
    5) Costa Rica

Honorable Mentions: Nepal, Sri Lanka, Croatia, Argentina, Israel

Of course, I would take a MASSIVE pay cut to live in any of them. There is a reason they all pay so little aside from a few of the schools in Bangkok but if I lived in Thailand I'd prefer to be bumming around the islands of the south anyway!

10. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

Depends on the day. We live near the beach and its stinkingly hot and humid at the moment. I'm more of a mountain person though. Himalayas, northern India / Pakistan are the places I've felt the most peace (awesome views, no people). I can't imagine settling in one place.

11. borges33

borges33 New commenter

New Caledonia.

12. SPC2

SPC2 Occasional commenter

Suburban Derby.

Only joking...went overseas to get away from it!

mahipaul likes this.
  13. tb9605

tb9605 Occasional commenter

Well I love where I am (Costa Blanca, Spain), but I'd also love to live in:

Slovenia
    Sri Lanka
    Bavaria
    Uruguay

Having a family changes things - stability and a low possiblity of being invaded or gripped by civil war/religious violence ranks high on my list of priorities when considering countries. Personally, I'd love to explore West Africa, Lebanon, Morocco, Ethiopia and Central America.... but perhaps when I'm old and the kids have flown the nest.

Helen-Back likes this.
  14. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

I’d love to go back to Iran because of nostalgia more than anything...

15. macao

macao New commenter

My top destinations
    1. Italy
    2.Portugal
    3. Malta
    4. Croatia

16. mermy

mermy Occasional commenter

Somewhere on a remote Indonesian island, ideally in Raja Ampat, far away from modern civilization. A mermaid can dream, eh?

JL48 likes this.
  17. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

London.

and I live here

so that's good

:)

JL48 likes this.
  18. Ms_Love_

Ms_Love_ Occasional commenter

London (it's where I'm from and lived for 25 years but now I can't afford to work there, can't be ***** with the stress of London schools)

Thailand, which hopefully will be my next move after my stint in the PRC!

JL48 likes this.
  19. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

@Ms_Love_ dead right - it hasn't worked properly since that big conference last month. Think they're doing the same that they did to Astrill a couple of years ago. Any recommendations?

20. swsimp160

swsimp160 Occasional commenter

Vancouver pre 2000.

Brisbane any day any time.

Does anyone know an Ozzie citizen, with full passport, looking to marry an overweight, balding middle aged British/Canadian Maths teacher? (Have all my own teeth, both legs and arms and generally structurally intact). Or will swap UK/Canadian passports for Ozzie.