1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If you could go back to one day in history.....

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sabrinakat, Nov 6, 2015.

1. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Where/When would you go and why?

The ethical bit - while we are all familiar with the idea that time travel could result in changes in a future - the going back and killing one's grandfather debate - I propose the 4th Wall theory, as shown slightly in a Star Trek Next Generation episode - you can observe but cannot interact or influence history. Ethical time travel - it could work!

I would like to go back to:

5th December 63 BC to ancient Rome where Julius Caesar, Cicero and Cato the Younger were debating about what to do about senatorial colleagues accused of involvement in a plot to overthrow the government (the infamous Catilinarian Conspiracy) - all the boys there, except Pompey.

I would like to see England on a day in the middle ages (see the plague for real?), see George Washington in real life or even walk through London a hundred years ago...

What about you?

2. Motherofchikkins

Motherofchikkins Star commenter

Battle of Bannockburn,

Bethlehem and the stable and all that stuff...... Just to see if it really happened ;)

3. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Any day during the battle of Britain at one of the fighter bases (in the south east), just to see GB when she was great, standing alone against a vastly superior force. To see our people pulling together and for each other.

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It's an interesting question and one which I've occasionally considered in the wee, small hours when my chronic sleeplessness has been at its worst. I'd like to go back to the second world war just to see what it was like - I'm very interested in social history. Similarly, and especially having read a book about Shakespeare's time living in London, I'd like to experience what London was like then.

I'd also like to go back and have a look at myself, aged about 8, on holiday in Skegness. I have really happy memories of those times and I'd like to have an objective look at it.

5. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

It did not occur to me to go back to my childhood for a wee visit, nice idea.

sabrinakat likes this.
  6. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

From a purely personal point of view, I would have liked to have done two things from history: to have walked on the Moon and to have been at Howard Carter's side when he broke through the wall of Tutankhamen's tomb, and 'beheld wonderful things'.

7. VanEyssen

VanEyssen Established commenter

November 22 1963 Dallas. Then i would know what happened.

8. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

The day the Atlantic started to flow into the Mediterranean Basin.

monicabilongame likes this.
  9. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Only if you were standing with Lee Harvey Oswald and could simultaneously see if anyone else also fired at JFK. There were many people there on that day - why don't you believe them?

10. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

I have to say I'd like to have been there too - because all the information we can read tends to contradict itself.

I also like your idea of going to a childhood memory - family party, Christmas, summer holiday...the thought of seeing all those members of my family who are no-longer around is extremely attractive.

But, to go back to the idea of the OP, a day/period in history? So many to choose from - battles? Executions? Coronations? Inventions/discoveries?

To be there when Stephenson's Rocket won the Rainhill Trials...Or to be on The Santa Maria when Columbus discovered the Americas (or, to be precise, Caribbean Islands), or, perhaps, to join alongside Marco Polo in his travels to China? Maybe I'd settle for being at Tilbury in August 1588 to hear Queen Elizabeth's famous speech...Or as a republican to lurk outside the Banqueting House, Whitehall on 30th January 1649....:D

But, if I'm only allowed one, then I'll choose 11-13 August 1902, at the Oval to watch the 5th Test between England and Australia. A great, and historic, game.*

*http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/62469.html

11. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I would love to watch Queen Elizabeth 1st come to our castle and be met by Robert Dudley in July 1575. He built a whole new wing to the castle just for the event and it must have looked fantastic. They had an amazing festival of celebrations for 19 days. Don't know if i would have wanted to be a villager or a servant at the castle - very tough life, or a courtier - presumably they all lived in fear of doing the wrong thing.and losing their heads! Actually I'll go for being a courtier.

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

October 14th 1066... taught it so much like to see if it actually went down that way [as we mostly have the Norman version]

13. VanEyssen

My intention would be to follow Oswald to the book depository and see if he gets 3 shots off and how quickly. Then follow him to the cinema, see if he shoots Tippit.
    I don't dispute Kennedy and Connally were shot, That's what many people saw. Different people gave different witness accounts of specifics.

14. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

The 'day' of the 'big bang' - I'd like to see what it looked like beforehand and as it happened.

kibosh likes this.
  15. cosmosinfrance

cosmosinfrance Star commenter

The Duchess of Richmond's ball on the eve of the battle of Quatre Bras and later Waterloo

16. VanEyssen

Unless you have really good conversational Latin, it could be disappointing.

17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

18. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

Now you're talking! But the major battle on the next day was Ligny. Quatre-Bras was supposed to be just a holding action but it turned into a battle.
    I'm going hardcore on this. For me it's the 18th of June, 1815, Battle of Waterloo.

colpee likes this.
  19. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I'd have to stay for longer than one day to get the full picture but I'd like to go back to see how they really made Stonehenge.

20. VanEyssen

I believe nobody know what spoken Latin sounded like.