1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If you could change the structure of the day what would you do? Your advice needed!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Milgod, May 17, 2011.

1. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I don't like assembly at the end of the day myself. Break also seems quite early for me, certainly for KS2. You have two break times and also finish fairly early in the afternoon. I like seperate subjects. It doesn't mean you can't be 'creative'.

2. I don't like assembly then either as the chn are all tired by then. The other staff would prefer not to have assembly in a morning so that it gives them more 'quality' teaching time. This is so hard to juggle the curriculum around the times of the day. We can change breaks, lunch etc....it is just finding a few different variations so that I can take them to the staff and show them to generate discussion.
    Thanks for your input [​IMG]

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We do
    9-10 English
    10-10.45 ICT/RE/PE
    10.45-11 Collective Worship
    11-11.15 Break
    11.15-11.40 Guided Reading
    11.40-12.15 Spelling Strategies/Mental Maths strategies/PSHE
    1.15-2.15 Maths
    2.15-3.15 Topic Work/PE
    ( except Friday when we have extended CW first followed by Extended Writing and Golden time before break)

Mind you, I swap around as I feel necessary!

4. Ooooh that is very interesting- I've never taught maths in the afternoon- how does it work for you? Do you find the children are focussed enough?
    Thankyou x[​IMG]

5. chocolatelover

chocolatelover New commenter

This is our school day, I'm not saying it si perfect, but it works for us.
    KS2
    8.45-9am Registration (staggered entrance by children, doors close at 9)
    9-9.05 wake up shake up
    9.05-10 - period 1
    10 - 10.10 snack time (milk/fruit water. I put a CD story on some put games on IWB)
    10.10 - 11 Period 2
    11.15 - 12.15 Period 3
    12.15 - 1.10 lunch
    1.10 - 1.15 reg
    1.15 - 2.45 different teachers do different things I do GR or handwriting first then 1 hr topic/science lesson)
    2.45 - 3.05 assembly
    3.05 - 3.15 story/tidy up/letter etc...
    KS1 work slightly differently their break 10.40 - 10.55 and then lunch 11.45 - 12.45 so they have a longer afternoon and can fit in 2 lessons.
    We tend to do numeracy and literacy on a morning p1 and p3 because p2 is shorter after fruit etc...
    Hope this helps.

6. Thanks chocolatelover[​IMG]- I really like the snack in class idea- our playtimes seem to run over! How are the children without an outdoor play?

7. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Works for KS2! , KS1 have maths in the morning ( after break) but we moved it for KS2 as I found it took children too long to settle after break, they tended to be late in ( especially during summer when it's too nice out on duty) and were always moaning they were hungry and couldn't concentrate! I get through much more in the afternoon session than I did previously.

8. karentee

karentee New commenter

Below is the best timetable I have worked with, with KS2 there is never a TA in the afternoons, this timetable really gives maximum input in the morning where children are refreshed, it makes for a really short afternoon though and I hate afternoon assemblies (I really don't know if thre is ever the perfect solution!)
    9-10 session 1
    10 - 10.10 fruit and drink stop in the classroom
    10.10 - 11.15 session 2
    11.15 - 11.30 playtime
    11.30 - 12.30 session 3
    12.30 - 1.30 lunchtime
    1.30 - 2.30 session 4
    2.30 - 2.45 assembly
    2.45 - 3.00 playtime
    3.00-3.15 storytime

9. I quite like this idea, it is very different to what we do now. Our maths scores are inline/above national average whereas our English scores are sig below- this would free up morning time for guided read.
    Thank you

Please keep your ideas coming everyone...just imagine you could start the school from scratch what would you alter?

10. I went on a course recently where someone was describing their school day in which only lunchtime was fixed. The class teacher or TA simply took their class out for the 15 minute break when there was a natural break in the plan of the day. They felt that the gain was worth having to do break duty every day. An interesting thought.

11. [​IMG]
    That is interesting- I like it because I don't know about you but I find that somedays my lessons end later/earlier than expected and I get frustrated that I have to do play. I wonder how the rest of the staff would feel though. Thanks for that[​IMG]

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We have:

8.50 Registration
    9.00 Assembly
    9.30 Maths
    10.30 Guided Reading
    10.55 Break
    11.15 Literacy
    12.15 Lunch
    1.15 Other subjects, 1 or 2 hours long more or less.
    3.00 Story
    3.15 Home

But assembly changes a little depending on the day, so sometimes we get an hour after maths in the morning before break.

My perfect day would start about 11 and go on until 5ish. But not many people share my view!

13. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Pretty much exactly the same as our school (although switch English and Maths). It works fairly well for us.

I would like to start at 8 and finish at 2, but that won't happen anytime soon.

14. Not sure I can adjust the timetable to do this
    But would be good for recovering from my glass of wine a night habit[​IMG]

Do you manage to fit all the other subjects in okay?
    Thanks Minnie[​IMG]

15. This is actually up for debate for us. We want to try and get the best from the children and we find they are better in the morning. The sad thing is that we have a large proportion of 'latecomers', so if we adopt 8am start they may miss up to 2 lessons!

16. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Pretty much...Kind of.
    We do PSHCE in one of the hour long morning slots. Then topic, history or geog and art or DT in an afternoon. Science in another afternoon. Music in a short afternoon, assembly at the end of it. PE and ICT in one afternoon. PE, RE and French in another afternoon.
    Art and DT, like in many year 6 classes, have lost out a little. But now SATs are over we won't be doing guided reading, big writing and other such extra literacy lessons. So DT and art catch up their allotment if you like.

17. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOLOL I don't think we'll teach int he same school anytime soon then!

18. When I spoke to the staff one suggestion was to teach each foundation subject over 1/2 term so-
    aut 1- re/dt/art
    aut 2- ict/pshce/music
    spring 1- history /geog
    Then repeat next 3 half terms as above.
    Just so that instead of trying to cram into little lesson slots you can give the 3 subjects quality time over a 6 week half term.
    Science would be taught 2 x weekly too- but all yr through.
    What do you think?

19. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'd like it, but I like long lessons. One or two of my colleagues struggle with an afternoon with no assembly. Not sure they would cope with two in a row on the same subject. However if you have good teachers who would like this then go with it.

20. I am going to take all the ideas gathered so far on Thurs to staff meeting. I just thought that this would trigger their own ideas/discussion. It is an exciting time but in some ways there is too much scope!
    Do you do Big write extended write regularly?