1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If you could build the dream school ...

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by zmmartin, Apr 28, 2019.

1. zmmartin

zmmartin New commenter

Hi

I am currently building an educational provider from scratch for 16-19year olds! It's brilliant and equally scary. However, with just my own input, i worried my Secondary English background is not enough to support certain areas such as SEND provisions.

So, i am asking the wider teaching community for help: What SEND provision would you use in a perfect school? What do you think an SEND policy should provide?

It is an opportunity for me to design education the way we - as teachers - think it should be done! (For a start, i have time to mark in house!)

2. zmmartin

zmmartin New commenter

Apologies about the typos. I used TES mobile to post!

3. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

Please can you tell us a little more about the type of SEND provision you are looking at? Mainstream or special? what needs will the students have that you anticipate providing for? and how severe will they be? (e.g will you be expecting to teach children with profound multiple learning difficulties, autism, emotional and behavioural needs, sensory needs, visual, hearing difficulties, physical but not cognitive difficulties, dyslexia, dyspraxia or all of these needs)
    Are you working within the UK and will you have input over the physical environment as well as the time table and the underlying philosophy?
    What do you want your students to gain at the end of their education and where do you envisag them going when they leave your provision at 19?

minnie me likes this.
  4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Yes important you know what you want / expect to see for your input. The devil is in the detail . So start with the end in sight I think - make sense ? Oh and avoid the word ‘ dream ‘or you risk sounding like a reality contestant ‘wannabe ‘ :eek:o_O !?

dzil likes this.