1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If you complete your nqt induction in three different schools for three different terms do you still only have one shot at each?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by GloriaSunshine, Feb 6, 2012.

1. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

If you do one term, it leaves you with two terms to complete. There is jo pass or fail until the end of the third term. If it is your third term and failure is a possibility, you need to negotiate support, weigh up the likely outcome and contact your union's regional office.

2. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

The Induction Panels generally recognise that doing your final term in a new school will mean it is very difficult for you to demonstrate meeting the standards - in many schools, you will not be fully in control of your classes until at least the first term is up.

So it's pretty normal for the induction to be extended by another term to allow you time to settle in.

3. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

I would have to disagree with you Paul, there are only certain reasons why induction can be extended and changing school is not one of them.

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I did two terms at one school and my final Induction term at another school.
    There is never a Pass/Fail decision on term 1 &2. You are judged to making satisfactory progress towards meeting the standards, or not yet making sufficient progress.
    Induction is normally only extended if your Induction was badly managed or you were absent for 30 days or more in the entire Induction period (absences from terms 1 & 2 at other schools are counted and you need to serve the missing days before the last school can come to a decision on your Induction).

5. Just to reiterate, terms 1and 2 are not passed or failed, merely completed. The pass or fail is for term three only and it is perfectly possible to do induction if a different school for term three and pass.
    James