1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If you can't afford them, don't have them.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Dragonlady30, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Hmmmm!
    I've had BBC Breakfast on since just before 7am. I haven't seen any middle class people moaning. Maybe Breakfast is different in different parts of the country. [​IMG]

2. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

You were obviously on a toast and Marmite moment, the one who was going on about having them both having "good jobs" but couldn't afford the lifestyle she aspired too!

3. Daybreak quote "I have to work three days a week to pay for child care, when I have this one (points to pregnant belly)I'll have to work four days"
    She already had two kids, so she should know what they cost. SHe said her salary only just covered child care - well why not stop working and look after your children yourself?

There were a few complaints about tax credits only paying for 70% of childcare instead of 80%.

Why am I paying 70% of your childcare to start with?

I don't mind paying for schools, roads, university, training nurses, hospitals etc etc. Everyone benefits fom those things but just who gains from paying for other people's childcare?

4. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

I have four children. When second was born I gave up work to look after them and only went back to work when no 4 was starting school. It's a sacrifice as you drop to one wage but there's no compensation for seeing your children grow up and bringing them up your way.
    I particularly agree with one person's pont of view this morning " You wouldn't chane cars without thinking of fuel, insurance and maintenance costs, so why wouldn't you think of that before having children?"
    As for the 'one third of our income goes on childcare' bleats, they must be mad to pay that!
    Before anyone starts to say about grandparents, I should add that our nearest family lived 200 miles away so we had no other option but to sort it out our way.

5. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

Precisely my dear x

6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Absolutely. No one paid for my childcare when mine were young so why should I pay for theirs? [​IMG]

7. landaise

Especially as they have higher salaries than we did, I gave up a £450 month job for mine.....

8. joli2

joli2 New commenter

Would you all prefer they were not working and on benefits?

9. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

As a single mum, I have no choice but to go out and work - unless of course I just <strike>sat at home </strike>looked after my child myself and claimed income support, but that's just not my style...

10. landaise

Why would they be on benefits if their partner is working?

11. madenglishgirl

Disability/incapacity benefit?
    (or whatever it's called nowadays)

12. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

True, I did miss that bit but not through toast and Marmite-yuck, work of the devil!
    No matter what, people are going to moan, particularly when benefits from one government are cut by the next.
    I'm quite happy to pay towards childcare for families. After all, these children kept me in my job for the last 36+ years.
    For a variety of reasons, I went back to work after my wee one was born and paid the childcare without any government help. Yes, I would have liked to stay at home, but for reasons I'm not going to go into here-not financial-it was not a real option. TBH, I was horrified at the cost of childcare now. The thrust of the section in the programme was that in the UK, we pay higher childcare costs than anywhere else. Why is that should be the question, not how childcare costs affect particular families.
    Children are the most precious resource we have as a country and their care should not be resulting in families making such difficult decisions.

13. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

There are too many people in the world.
    I would prefer to not pay any benefits for even the second child.

14. joli2

joli2 New commenter

I don't know the ins and outs of the benefit system, but things like child tax credit/income support if partner's wage inadequate etc.
    It just seems it's some of the same posters moaning on here who'd be condemning mums on benefits on a different type of thread. I'm not talking about middle class 'I can afford to choose to be a stay at home mummy' mothers. I watched the news today and most of it seemed to be about low income families.

15. landaise

So all people not working have to be disabled or otherwise incapable of working?
    I understand that you, as a single mum, have to work to support your child, but this morning the talk was of fairly high earners who were moaning at the cost (the figure of &pound;1600 per month for care of two children was quoted)
    My SIL complained that half her salary was going on childcare for two, so how can paying 50% of what you earn make working feasible (of course that would have meant giving up the company car, so no fuel/insurance/maintenance costs......)

16. madenglishgirl

I can't talk for anywhere else in the country, but I pay &pound;645 a month for childcare out of my &pound;900 wage, then &pound;550 rent, bills, food etc...
    If I didn't qualify for tax credits then I wouldn't have a roof ever my head!

17. madenglishgirl

Benefits can be means tested - if you are a low income family (i.e under &pound;16K combined household income) then you are entitled to Working Tax Credits - I think!

18. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

So the family go to work, earn a wage, play tax, NI etc etc.
    Contribute to the same system that we do to help to fund this country, then claim help that they are entitled too, especially as they are contributing the same amount, if not more in some cases, than your average Joe.
    To say that why should they get help because we didn't used to do it is a ludicrous argument,
    It would be the same as saying lets go back to a time when there was no minimum wage because there wasn't when I was younger! These changes have happened (working tax credit, help toward child care etc) have been implemented because the way things used to be were inadequate.

Child care in this country is so expensive, without help some people wouldn't be able to earn a wage at all, so couldn't add to the pot (via NI/TAX) so to speak. Without them working the rest of us would need to add even more to the pot to cover the extra expense of having less people working and paying tax.

19. Leaving aside the widows and those who found themselves dumped through no fault of their own, on here there are simply too many people who chose to have children they knew they couldn't afford to look after unless both parties went out to work; too many people who had children with partners whom they eventually chose to leave; and too many people who think having more than one child is a right that everyone else should be made to subsidise, for a discussion to take place without its descending into the personal, anecdotal and sniffy.
    The solution most enthusiastically supported on here seems to involve having as many children as you wish within a relationship that may, at your wish, dissolve if unsatisfactory, then either (a) paying a childminder a pound an hour to take on the bulk of your child's daily care whilst you both work in order to have the lifestyle of your choice, or (b) paying the woman who brings up your children for you a wage worthy of the nature of the job and hand the bill to the government.
    As I understand it, the government is presently looking at ways of reducing outgoings, not racking them up. Individual freedoms eventually rebound on wider society.

20. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

They do Lily, they do.
    And what a fantastic post! Well said.