1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If you are thinking of moving back to the UK...

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by the hippo, Dec 12, 2011.

1. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Don't. I came across these comments from Theo on the "Jobseekers" forum.
    <table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tr><td class="post">It started from January, a sharp drop in the number of jobs on offer. It looks worse at the moment because this is, actually, always the worst time of year for jobs, so in a downturn it looks worse than ever.
    The print section is so thin . . .
    Overall there have been about 35% fewer jobs on offer this last year compared with, say, 3 years ago.
    Add to that the very high numbers of PGCE students who have not been able to start their induction. I do not yet have figures for the 2011 finishers, but I do know that the 2010 and 2009 finishers had less than 50% in jobs by Januray, compared to 80% 5 years ago.
    So fewer jobs, a backlog of unemployed PGCE students (there are 2009 and 2010 finishers still looking, as well as 2011 cohort), and schools with budget problems making short-term appointments only. It's grim out there.
    The only good thing is that there was a big cut in the numbers taken on to PGCE courses in September 2011, so in 2012 there will <u>not </u>be another big flood of new finishers.
    Have a good weekend - it's sunny here in London.
    </td></tr></table>

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Don't. I came across these comments from Theo on the "Jobseekers" forum.
    <table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tr><td class="post">It started from January, a sharp drop in the number of jobs on offer. It looks worse at the moment because this is, actually, always the worst time of year for jobs, so in a downturn it looks worse than ever.
    The print section is so thin . . .
    Overall there have been about 35% fewer jobs on offer this last year compared with, say, 3 years ago.
    Add to that the very high numbers of PGCE students who have not been able to start their induction. I do not yet have figures for the 2011 finishers, but I do know that the 2010 and 2009 finishers had less than 50% in jobs by Januray, compared to 80% 5 years ago.
    So fewer jobs, a backlog of unemployed PGCE students (there are 2009 and 2010 finishers still looking, as well as 2011 cohort), and schools with budget problems making short-term appointments only. It's grim out there.
    The only good thing is that there was a big cut in the numbers taken on to PGCE courses in September 2011, so in 2012 there will <u>not </u>be another big flood of new finishers.
    Have a good weekend - it's sunny here in London.
    </td></tr></table>

3. ugh, not good

4. libra28

libra28 New commenter

Oh My Lord!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......I arrive at Christmas to take up a teaching position in London ... I guess its a very sad sad Happy Crimbo to me then !!!.... what's sad that when I left the UK in 2005, there was many a jobs and in 'those' days , there was huge competition to get the really good positions ... tragic to see how in a few years the country has radically worsened socially, Internationally and politically ,changes to the education system made a lot worse by the government s of the Uk.....Looks like I have no choice but to' face the music' of my glorious country...!!!!

5. I have been warning a young American colleague to think twice about returning to the U.S for the same reasons.

I have only been teaching 5 years (3 outside the UK in two different countries). Can't see myself ever going back to work there.