1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If you are in a long term assignment and get replaced by a cheaper model, then what?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by robyn147, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Honest email from agency discussing new AWR regulations. It said schools will probably look at cheaper people for long term assignments rather than expensive ones. What would happen if you were working at a school on a long term assignment and then were replaced by someone doing the same job but who was cheaper?
    Where would you stand legally?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Even on a long-term assignment, unless you have a contract, there's little job security anyway, so doubt it would make much difference.

3. There is supposed to be a government body 'policing' hirers to try and pick up on AWR 'avoidance' practice. Taking someone on for 11 weeks for example and then switching over to a cheaper option can happen once and not much can be done about it but if it's shown to become a trend this is classed as avoidance, the school as the hirer can be charged roughly 5k as well as the agency who would also be liable.

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

It strikes me that the more unscrupulous hirers will start sniffing around as you approach the ten week mark, trying to find 'evidence' of alleged incompetence or lack of compliance with school policies such as marking, homework, behaviour management etc, and will maybe consult the so-called 'student voice' or invite feedback from parents. They might even quote bogus feedback at you.

Alternatively, anyone on a national pay scale point higher than the agency's existing flat rate might not get hired for long term work in the first place. That makes me particularly vulnerable.

Having been fortunate enough to have just completed a paid to scale maternity cover, I can manage on slightly fewer days a week for the next few months, but if I see a substantial drop in bookings between now and March I'm seriously going to have to consider alternatives to Supply.

Interesting times we live in.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Yes, me too.
    But I do worry for the future, if us old-timers, who've been able to pick up the long-term sickness covers are no longer available, what will happen to the classes, who need some continuity in a teacher's abscence!

6. I am having to do supply work because I simply cannot find a permanent job. The work is practically non existent mainly because of the 'cover supervisors' I have been told by 2 big agencies that cover the SE, they can and will use NQTs for at best, £70 per day and they are eager for the work!!!!! God knows what the rest of us are going to do. I have scoured agencies, local government websites, agencies that cover the SE and Kent, individual school websites and there is very, very little. I have found that if you are on UPS they do not even shortlist you........................in the meantime I am coming very close to losing everything I have ever worked for.

7. emmadrg

emmadrg New commenter

I've done some sums, and I will admit to being a wee bit confused by all this AWR stuff, but I will "only" cost an extra £20 a day to one of my agencies past the 12 week limit. It doesn't sound like much but it could be a kicker if they want their cut to stay the same.
    I do like the idea of policing the schools and agencies, and them being fined if they are shown to repeatedly "dispose" of experienced teachers off long-term assignments once their 12 weeks are up. Who would you report such behaviour to?

8. mereside

mereside New commenter

I am in exactly the same position. Schools seem to be so ageist and yet it is just about impossible to prove this as you do not even get to the stage of getting an interview. I have even written to schools to which I applied and was not short-listed and asked why I was not short-listed. Most do not even bother to reply (so much for teaching their kids the importance of politeness and courtesy). Those that do are so obviously making any excuse that does not refer to age. In the meantime I am becoming increasingly bitter and bad tempered with everyone around me. I genuinely rue the day I decided to do a PGCE.

9. Exploitative employment practice, unscrupuous, unfair, hypocritical, immoral and downright corrupt are attitudes and behaviour towards supply teachers!
    All manner of unqualified admin staff who have all the power...to hire and fire...UNBELIEVABLE HYPOCRISY!!!!! Why do not teachers support each other?