1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If you are feeling bored you might like to give your opinion on this...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by rustybug, Jul 16, 2011.

1. My daughter and her friend are receiving tuition for the 11+. They have been attending sessions where there are up to 15 kids in a class, at a cost of £30 per 90 min session (London, you know..)
    The other mum and I have been noticing lots of errors in the hwks and other correspondence, and generally feeling we are paying a lot of money, and feeling it's rather bad value. So we wrote a letter explaining our reasons, and have removed our girls and gone elsewhere.
    Apparently the tutor told another mum (who she knows knows us) that we sent her a terribly rude letter, and she was still very upset about it a week later.
    This is the letter. Is it rude?
    I have a good mind to write to her again and slate her for denouncing us to our friend, not to mention for discussing our private correspondence with another parent, but this will bring the third mum into it even more - it was never my intention that she should be dragged into it (she was the one who gave me the tutor's details in the first place, so it's horrible that she should be virtually accused of introducing horrible rude people to the tutor).

We are writing to inform you of our decision to withdraw YYY and ZZZ from the Club, effective today.We have increasingly been feeling that your classes are not set up to ensure the best possible progress for our daughters. Our primary concern is the lack of attention to detail in terms of the quality of the homework resources – every week there is at least one error (and usually more). Also, your standard response to the children pointing these out in the lessons (“Oh, well then you can have that mark for free,”) indicates a less-than-rigorous approach that we don’t wish them to accept from themselves (much less from their tutor) as their test dates approach. For example, in last week’s NVR question paper, a question asked students to fill the space (where 2 spaces were shown), another was difficult to complete because the master copy had had a hole punched through the correct symbol, so it showed a white circle, while others had shading that had faded away through multiple generations of printing.
    This lack of rigour also appeared in XXX&rsquo;s report, where she was marked &ldquo;absent&rdquo; for the VR8 test (she has not missed any sessions or failed to complete any tests). The written comment in the report had also obviously not been spell-checked, as is the case with much of the correspondence we have received. The most recent edition of <the termly newsletter> contains 18 errors in spelling, grammar and punctuation.The classes are very expensive and we do not feel that we are receiving resources that are in line with the price we are paying, and for that reason, with regret, we have taken this decision.

2. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

I didn't think it was rude. As an occasional 11+ tutor myself I would be horrified to think my resources were regularly so wrong/poor that children and the parents picked up on it. I think £30 is a lot to pay if the session is shared with so many other pupils. I know it's London but what would you have to pay for a session shared just with the other child? In Devon we can only really charge £25 per hour for one child.