1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If you are driving in France this Summer

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TheoGriff, Jan 29, 2012.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Very useful, thank you Blazer.
    Presumably the ferry companies will be selling the breathalyser kits on board. But feel bit puzzled about the sat-nav thing, since my Michelin Road Map (paper) has the fixed radars clearly marked on it!
    Will they search and seize for that too?
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Not sure about the map. You are right my Michelin also has camera locations printed in!

I'll check my sources.[​IMG]

3. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

That's...baffling. I can understand everything else as a form of improving safety generally, but there are some of us who don't drink alcohol...

4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Anyone have any idea how I can remove speed camera data from my satnav?
    ( I suppose I could always tell the police I ignore speed camera warnings but that might not have the effect I'm hoping for!)
    I will be on the look out for a breathalyser kit too!

Thanks for the information, much appreciated!

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Don't you just love cookies! Since looking online the little ad square to the right of this post is coming up with electronic breath testing kits!

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Unless you pay for downlaods or are still within the free download period I am not sure. I bought a new satnav just before Christmas and when I last plugged it in to update it automatically removed the French camera data. My old satnav, which still works, is no longer updated so if I were to use that it would still contain camera data for France. I only bought the new one because it was only a few quid more than buying the upgrade subscription for the old one!

7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Apparently this has come from Sarkozy himself! Not sure how it will stop habitual drunk drivers but I suppose if you have had a couple of glasses of wine you can check yourself before turning the key. I would imagine that if you are caught drink driving and either don't have the kit or had one and didn't use it or used it and ignored the reading then the punishment would be higher.

They are also talking about all new cars having to be fitted with a breath device linked to the ignition and the car won't start until the driver (or someone) has submitted a negative breath test!

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

You can turn off the warnings but the data would still be in the memory. Not sure what the offense actually is.

9. And there are those who will drink and drive anyway!

10. henriette

henriette New commenter

my understanding is that these are just proposals as teh dwarf trie sto flex some muscle.
    If anyone has definitive legislation, please post a link.

11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

12. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Ethylotest.

13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Merci mère de chat ;-)

14. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I think we need an automatic update feature on TES so this pops to the top of the forum at the beginning of each holiday[​IMG]

15. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Sounds like France is being run by Antoine de Caunes.
    Just a thought, if you HIRE a car in France, do you get all this **** in it from the hire company, or do you have to provide it as the hirer?
    And a simple solution: just don't.
    Stuff the frogs!

16. blazer

blazer Star commenter

My spy in France is currently checking out whether road maps with camera sites marked are also illegal! I await her findings. My 2010 Michelin has cameras marked!

It's all part of a dirty foreign plot to get us to turn our wondeful stable £££s into worthless Euros either by buyinh loads of **** we shall never use or in fines!

17. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

What happens if your driving through france to elswhere.if i had a choice and money id go a round about route
    As to police last year they hid behind big signs and in laybys...they are sneakier than english police on the whole. The whole world wants to control and legistlate.
    Any how i hope that daft leader dont get into power...hes an ass hole!

18. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The only time I got pulled over by the Police in France was for pulling straight out from a junction onto an empty road after not stopping at the sign that said 'STOP' - in English ;-)

19. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

See - I've never figured out the purpose of having speed cameras on maps. Are you going to be driving along with the map open looking out for where the cameras are? Will your navigator be checking?
    My sat nav beeps at me. However I'm quite lucky as where I live is one of the few places not to have speed cameras. We do have mobile cameras (which might have caught me accelerating towards the 40mph zone from the 30 mph zone last week before I reached the 40mph sign). When I go to the next counties, they seem to love their cameras.
    I remember as a child when we had our caravan searched by the police. First time I had seen a gun close up. I think some of the rules like the vests are a good idea. But the breath detector - well the thing about alcohol is that it affects everyone differently and I fear that knowing you are below the legal limit may may you think you are safe. Legally yes, reality no. (But we have had this debate before).

20. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Thanks Tafkam
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 18th February
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com www.tesweekendworkshop82.eventbrite.com