1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

“If...we will take that first step into a thousand years of darkness."

Discussion in 'Personal' started by MAGAorMIGA, Jan 10, 2020.

1. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Fill in the missing words.

Give up?

The missing words are "If Mike Espy and the liberal Democrats gain the Senate..."

Mike Espy is black, and if elected he will be Mississippi's first black representative in Congress. The above words were spoken by Phil Bryant, Governor of Mississippi. Instead, Bryant wants people to vote for safely-white Cindy Hyde-Smith who said that she would "be in the front row of a public hanging".. Given the "Mississippi Goddamn" and "Strange Fruit" background of Mississippi, one wonders if that state has ever left the 1940s?

2. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

It hasn't, and the rest of the country don't much care given the response to the destruction of New Orleans a few years ago.

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

4. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

In THE CONTEXT USED (i.e. the potential election of a black representative), choosing that particular Reagan quote has the most unfortunate of connotations.

Ivartheboneless likes this.
  5. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Occasional commenter

If that's what Bryant said, it was an senseless and untrue thing to say. Espy is widely respected. I'd vote for him. (And yes, I do follow US politics closely, for several reasons. But I certainly hadn't spotted that quote.)