1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

“If we wash our hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by bonkers 704, Mar 3, 2017.

1. bonkers 704

bonkers 704 Lead commenter

....we side with the powerful - we don't remain neutral." Discuss.

2. VanEyssen

VanEyssen Established commenter

Like Switzerland.

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

''If you aren't with me you are against me.''

An absolutist, black and white view... sign of an inflexible and rigid, near authoritarian approach to the world.

wanet and needabreak like this.
  4. bonkers 704

The quote is from Banksy. You are not in favour of affirmative action in favour of the poor, then lanokia?

5. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

What affirmative action might that be?

6. bonkers 704

How about helping refugees find jobs in the UK? Planting olive trees for Palestinians who have had theirs destroyed by Israeli settlers?

coffeekid likes this.
  7. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Thanks for the perspective, I didn't realise you meant the world's poor.

8. EricaBain

EricaBain Occasional commenter

Banksy is quoting Paulo Freire: The Politics of Education: Culture, Power, and Liberation

9. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

https://www.amazon.co.uk/History-Working-Classes-Scotland/dp/B00087S2V4

The Coulson and Riddell quote from above in their Approaching Sociology(1970: 87)

At Ballindalloch, on the Spey, a poor man had been sentenced to death, and the gallows not being ready he was put in the baron's pit while the scaffold was being erected. At length everything was in order, and the baron's men called upon the prisoner to come up; but instead of coming up the doomed man drew a sword and threatened to slay the first individual who came down for him. Persuasion and threat were equally unavailing, until at last, the victim's wife appeared and cried: "Come up quietly and be hangit, Donal', and dinna anger the laird" (Johnston, 1929, p.47).​

... isn't that the way!

coffeekid likes this.
  10. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

P1$ $ing in the wind, especially in the Middle East. Look at all the Foreign Aid that countries like us pour into Africa. Has it done a damn thing to alleviate poverty?

I stick something in the food bank trolley every time I go to the supermarket. Has that dragged any of its recipients out of poverty? No.

11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Amazes me how you managed to come to that conclusion... please outline the thought processes that led you to it... I'd be interested to know how you got it so monumentally wrong.

12. Calpurnia99

Affirmative action sounds like something people sign up for to make themselves feel right-on and virtuous.

Anything that will really work involves the affirmative positive action of the poor themselves. There are obvious reasons why this doesn't happen.

wanet likes this.
  13. Calpurnia99

Just watched the news report about the latest Sudan famine. What am I going to affirmatively DO about that? Hold back the Sahara? Initiate a global irrigation programme?

I can keep contributing to buckets of charity rice pudding but it's not going to make the slightest difference to anything else.