1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If we 'ad some 'am, we could 've an 'am omelette, if we 'ad some eggs.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I'm quite partial to omelettes and have one, maybe every couple of months. I suspect a chef will tell you it's the easiest thing in the world to cook; and it probably is, once you've had to make a thousand a week, but for a poor soul like me, who doesn't get the practice, it's a rare thing that I make the perfect omelette. I'm sure I could if your idea of the perfect omelette is a solid one, but I like them light and fluffy; and I think that's where my occasional excursions into omelette making go wrong.

I expect a chef will also tell you that to make the perfect omelette, you need the right-size pan, which has to be used solely for making omelettes, properly seasoned before use and only ever wiped clean, rather than washed.

Well I bought a pan to make omelettes in, but found I could bet my life that whenever I fancied an omelette, I'd search high and low to find what had happened to it, finally discovering it in the dishwasher, after my sweetheart had fried the dog's dinner in it.

So last weekend while I was in the supermarket trying to find my sweetheart, or alternatively another woman to chat to, which acts as a magnet for my sweetheart finding me, I noticed in the electricals aisle they were flogging omelette makers. I thought someone is having a larf.

The omelette maker is a variation on the sandwich toaster, waffle maker and George Foreman grill.
    Things you buy on impulse, but only use a couple of times before they find their way into the back of a cupboard and get discarded when you move home.

Nevertheless, as I passed by the omelette maker again in my forlorn search for my sweetheart this afternoon, I stopped to take a closer look at it, because the images on the box looked appetising.

I though to myself, I've got some eggs indoors. Duck eggs as it happens, given to me this morning by a resident. I thought to myself that since I've got some eggs, if we 'ad some 'am we could 'ave an 'am omlette, if we 'ad an omeltte maker.

As luck would have it, they'd knocked the price of the omelette maker down considerably, so I thought why not? after all, I can't imagine it being useful to make the dog a fry up with.

I thought you might like to know what my impressions are of the first omelette I cooked in it were like. The bit where you cook the omelette, get's bleedin' hot. I lifted the lid to see how my omelette was faring before the recommended cooking ime was up and nearly scalded myself on the steam that came out of it.

It seems to rely on the steam to make the ommelette light and fluffy as described on the box. The omelette was well risen, as you'd expect a souflee to be, and nicely browned. I let it cook longer as the instructions said and found it to be too long a cooking time.

It may have promise if I can perfect the timing, or it might be yet another pointless bit of junk to clutter the cupboards up with.

I'll try to remember to update this thread when I next use it, but not wishing to get egg-bound, that won't be tomrrow. It might not be the day after if I find we have neither 'am nor eggs.

2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Don't beat or whisk the eggs Blend with a fork or, as I prefer, a knife.

nizebaby likes this.
  3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If you like them light and fluffy make a soufflé omelette. Separate the yolks from the whites. Whisk the whites to soft peaks. gently fold in the beaten yolks. Season. Heat oil in a frying pan. Pour mixture in and cook on medium heat until the lower part is setting and as brown as you want it. Meanwhile heat the grill. Pop the pan under the grill and cook the top side.

LondonCanary likes this.
  4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

5. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

On reading this the first thing that came to mind was that stupid two Ronnies sketch, and I was going to look it up on Youface. Remembered from long ago, I am shocked by how unfunny, mildly racist, and sexist it was, with a very poor punchline. As to omlettes, I have my own technique, but I don't eat them very often.

6. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

I have a small egg only pan which gets used for omelette and pancakes. I don't cook them on both sides but fold it over when cooked. I grill the top if I'm adding cheese.
    And I use coconut oil, tiny amount.

7. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I do have an omelette pan, which is used only for that purpose and which works very well.
    I don't whisk the eggs, just mix them a little, and then use a dab of butter (coconut oil would flavour it nastily, I'd imagine...) and then heat the pan till it is "as hot as you dare" (according to Delia) and add the eggs, and just draw the edges in while it cooks.
    We have them for lunch about once a month. I like them.