1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If there were two flies walking up the wall...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by modelmaker, Sep 10, 2011.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

It's something I remember my father said to my mother from time to time...
    "You'd argue about two flies walking up the wall"
    Age is against me, and it's with some regret, I've forgotten an replies she might have made, but I'm intrigued by the comment. Was it unique to my father? I doubt it, somehow,
    And is it possible to have an arguement about two flies walking up a wall?
    As a betting man, it's probably quite ironic that my father chose this turn of phrase. He'd have been the one to argue the most profusely if it was a photo-finish, whether the fly he'd had had money on reached the top of the wall first.
    But enough of my father, was this a commom comment to make?
    And are there any other similar or interesting put downs you recall from the past?

2. I'm a bit worried about you model maker, lying awake at 3 in the morning wondering wether it was possible to argue about 2 flies walking up a wall a generation ago. Hope you get a good nights sleep in the end!

3. When we were kids, and if we were a bit cheeky, my dad would say
    "How old are you, hen?" (we're from Glasgow!)
    "I'm nine, Daddy"
    "Well, any mair o' yer cheek, an' ye'll no' see ten!"
    (Translation "Any more of your cheek, and you will not survive to be ten")

4. If anybody says..."Oh if only we had some______", my Dad will say:

"If we had some ham, we could have ham and eggs. If we had some eggs."

This has also become my husband's favourite saying. If we begin to ask "how many_____", Dad will do the old
    "How many beans make five beans?" routine. (two beans, two half beans, a bean and a half and half a bean).

5. My dad also used to threaten me, when I was 'naughty" with .... "You'll go to the bad fire!" (i.e. Hell)
    We were Catholics.........

6. I've never heard of two flies, sorry Op.
    But, mum used to say 'oh, pull your head in' to which, one day, whilst arguing in the back seat on a long drive, my brother ( 9) stopped trying to pinch me and pulled his collar up over his ears and face and said ' I've pulled my head in, Mum, what do I do now?' As you can't imagine, my brother and I were in fits of giggles. Mum, however, stopped the car and drove a km off down the road and made us chase after her. Even as teenagers, when we knew we were in trouble, one of us would literally ' pull our heads in' and it would break a tension.

7. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

Is this like, "You can't polish a turd"?

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

NO, IT BLOODY WELL ISN'T, AND DON'T YOU TRY AND TELL ME IT IS!!!

;-)

9. essentiallyprincess

essentiallyprincess New commenter

yes similar - more on intelligence than 'class' though. Unlike you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear. Things were also referred to as looking like a pigs foot if they were in a mess - lots of pig references really.

10. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I'm reminded of one of my mother's favourite put-downs:

'You're like a filleted fly on a slice of wind'

Sounds similar to something a Music teacher in my first school had written on her wall: "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and it annoys the pig." Classic.

11. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

Round our way a mess or a cock-up was known as a pig's ear, as in "You've made a right pig's ear out of that."
    Funny all these pig references...

12. lunarita

lunarita Established commenter

When picking at sopts/scabs we would always be warned to stop picking "or you'll grow a pig's trotter".

13. As my brother leaves to go out, my Dad will often tell him that he 'smells like a tart's handbag'.

14. My grandfather used to have odd phrases that I've inherited.
    If it had been a horrible day but blue sky was starting to appear, he would say it will be a nice day because "there's enough blue sky to make an elephant a pair of pyjamas". I asked my grandmother about it a couple of years ago. She told me that the original saying involved a sailor but my grandad adapted it.
    If anybody would say "something smells nice", he would reply "it's me". I've found I say that a lot.

15. My Dad has some great ones:
    'It's a monkey's birthday!' - when it's raining and sunny
    'By jingo!' (usually said when he is cross)
    'Stack me!'
    'Home James!'
    'Sacré Bleu, green, pink and yellow.'

I find myself saying these and he asks where I get them from!

16. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

If he thought someone was a bit overdressed (it didn't take much) my Dad would describe them as "Done up like a dog's dinner". Funny, because the dog ate his dinner pretty much unadorned.