1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If the platitude fits, wear it.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I remember one of my teachers dishing out platitudes on a seemingly daily basis then occasionally thinking what trite nonsense they were. Take go with the flow, for example. How's that going to do a salmon hoping to spawn any good?

Hard work always pays off, does it? Good things come to those who wait. What utter twaddle. It's as stupid as believing the meek shall inherit the earth.

Do you use platitudes? Do you hate them? Which are your favourites and least favourites?

2. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Stoopid is as stoopid does.

Dragonlady30 and sabrinakat like this.
  3. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Not a platitude, but we had one teacher who used to say, "Look at the board while I run through it again."

At primary school:

Teacher: "Why did you do that?"
    Pupil; "He told me to."
    T: "Would you put your finger in the fire if he told you to?"

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Of of my least favourites are:
    Everything happens for a reason and It wasn't meant to happen (when a house purchase or other plan falls through).

Another one is What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. It's not applicable to survivors of polio, as my daughter has pointed out in the past.

5. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I don't use them.

The one I hear most often is, "What's for you won't go past you". Dislike.

catmother and kibosh like this.
  6. ValentinoRossi

ValentinoRossi Star commenter

I like these two.

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  7. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Our local high school has an endless supply of this tosh on its twitter feed, on the front page of its website. A lot of it makes no sense, even when it is correctly punctuated. It makes you wonder about the intelligence of the person allolowing it to go on there. Oh help. That would be the head.

cissy3 and Duke of York like this.
  8. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I find some of these are very good to end a conversation with. When people stop me in the street to chat and I haven't got time or I'm busting for a wee, I find if I start walking away and smile and say something like, "It'll all come out in the wash" or "It's an ill wind" or "It never rains but it pours", I can take my leave without causing offence.

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  9. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I was just about to post that. It strikes me as remarkably unambitious, as if you should just sit and wait for life to come to you.

10. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

That really irritates me, "If it was meant to happen it will" and other versions of the same thing. So the answer is don't try to do anything and just take what comes? - or doesn't.

A former colleague used to say "Aim for the moon, if you miss you'll land amongst the stars" - boak.

Middlemarch likes this.
  11. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

It's got a grain of truth in it, though.
    I prefer it worded:
    What's meant for you won't pass you by.

12. aspensquiver_2

Not at all. You are reading too much into it. It seems to suggest if something is meant for you - a job, a husband, for instance - then you are destined to have it, if you like. Part of life's great plan sort of thing. Oh does that previous sentence contain a platitude?!

13. aspensquiver_2

It does not mean sit back and wait. At least I don't interpret it in that way. No one is stupid enough to do that, surely?

14. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

What goes around, comes around. :mad:

15. aspensquiver_2

Oh that first one is a *daft things teachers say* MYTH!!

It's like being sent to someone for a tin of tartan paint!

16. aspensquiver_2

It's true though. It's the old fashioned way of saying Bad karma.

17. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Such phrases can mean what you suggest. I also think that many people subscribe to then because they think that there's a benign force (guess who?) in the universe who is somehow looking out for them and (possibly) everyone else too!

kibosh likes this.
  18. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

"You'll get your reward in heaven!" was trotted out frequently by my father, usually when he reneged on a promise.

19. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Work 'til your brain hurts and your eyes bleed.

20. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

They will do so

Usually plot of it approximately 6'x6'x3'