1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If the head strikes I won't...????

Discussion in 'Primary' started by 2r2e, Nov 18, 2011.

1. 2r2e

2r2e New commenter

Conversation last night, boiled down to 'If the Head strikes and the school is shut I won't need to strike.' My reaction is (setting aside some individuals whose circumstances will make it impossible for them to go along with the ballot of their union) ***, missing the point!!! This is a matter of principal and the public perception of our claim is low enough without it being revealed that teachers basically had a day off and were still paid. And yes I'm sure everyone will catch up on stuff and prepare fab lessons and the time will be well used BUT if you're in a union and benefit from the work of the union then you should be a part of the agreed action or find a different union.

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Outrageous. Utterly selfish and morally repugnant.

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Do they realise the school doesn't have to close because the head is on strike?

4. 2r2e

2r2e New commenter

Think they soon will! One As. Head not in union so will be directed to open I presume.

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

Sorry, I don't understand your post!

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

I couldn't imagine not striking when my colleagues from so many different unions were out. When, in an ethically feeble moment, I told mr inky that I could work Friday or Monday in lieu, I got What For from him.

7. manic28

manic28 New commenter

Spot on Nick

8. I'm so baffled by the strikes! I have a degree in Social & Political Science. I suck.
    (Please let me say I am left-wing, pro-TU and I absolutely detest the Tories!)
    I'm NUT. Nobody in my school's mentioned the strikes. I'm not sure who to speak to, really! It did mention in the newsletter today, though, that school 'MAY' close on 30th due to them. The dismantling of the public sector under the guise of this ******** 'common sense' agenda is heinous. When I hear politicians talking about what "the public" think/want/expect, I think I might explode in violent rage. "The public", indeed. Why not just say what you really mean and call us "The plebs"? Anyway. I'll gladly strike if that's what's happening. Once I work out what to do. (Do you just not turn up?!) Up the workers, as my dear grandmother used to say.
    On a more flippant note, I have to confess (and please don't call me repugnant) that I'm pretty disappointed that on 30 November it's my NQT time+PPA! D'ohhhhhh!

9. LOL - my and my year partner's PPA time too - as it was last strike day!
    You don't actually need to speak to anybody at school re. the strike. Your union will inorm your Head how many of his/her staff are NUT members and so how many can be expected to be away from school that day. You just stay away from work on the 30th.
    If you wanted to be nice, you could have a word with the Head beforehand and warn him/her you won't be in.
    If you want to know who else will be out, you could just ask around in the staffroom!

10. Since there was no point being in a TU while unemployed, I only sent off my re-joining forms about a week ago. So I wonder if I actually AM in the NUT! Haha [​IMG]
    Ahh thank you for this great explanation - am FAR clearer now. My Millicent the West Highland White Terrier was also a MillieBear and she was seven shades of awesome. God, I had TWO PINTS AFTER SCHOOL! What am I on about?! Thank you again, Milliebear xxx

11. Hi milliebear, I'm not expecting the time back. Taking the decision to strike is a really big deal for me, as I'm sure it is for many other people, so it feels strange that I'll still do some of the work I 'should' have been doing anyway.
    Thanks for the suggestion about marching - I'll investigate.

12. The last strike fell on my PPA day and I had my ppa moved as you are entitled to be paid for your PPA and if I did my PPA at home then there wouldnt be any impact as all the work I would normally be doing would be still being done. Yes I have chosen to withdraw my labour but I am losing pay for it. The staff who werent striking didnt do any work anyway as the children watched videos. This time our school will be closed and anyone who isnt striking has to take it as their PPA day if they want to be paid for it, although I think everyone is in one of the striking unions this time. I certainly will not be doing any work on the strike day. I will go to the local march and then relax.

13. I am not sure what you mean by having your PPA moved. Why was that done? I don't have the option of doing my PPA outside of school, so I would be expected to be on school premises if I was working my PPA time on strike day.
    It seems reasonable to ask non striking staff to take their PPA time on strike day, although in reality this means that the children would presumably be taught at times they would not ordinarily be taught at - thus perhaps weakening the impact of the strike.

14. I think the point is that no teacher will leave planning and marking not done, so those with PPA on the day of the strike won't be able to strike effectively; the work will still be done, just not on school premises. A touch counter-productive?

15. Thank you, Alliandra, you have understood the point I was trying to make.