1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If teachers were doctors...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Doitforfree, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I'm a foster carer and have to have a health review every three years. The GP has to fill in a brief form, by looking at my records and filing in that I have no health issues. Sounds pretty doctory to me. But I got a call after I'd dropped the form off asking for the fee schedule so they could make their charge to social services, that well-known over-funded public service. How petty (sorry, how petty!). Can you imagine if teachers were able to do this? Think of the non-teaching things they could charge for. It seems pretty random for doctors so the 'extras' could be substantial.

I wonder how we came to this state of affaris, that one group of publicly funded professionals can charge extra for things which are clearly part of their job, while another, paid a lot less, are likely to be subsidising theirs.

I can't believe I've started two threads in one day.

2. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I ask for a donation when asked to sign passport applications. We usually say around £10 which goes into school funds for the benefit of the children.

welshwales and wanet like this.
  3. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

I've been asked to do one passport application and a driving licence application in the last month. My husband joked that I should start charging, I laughed and said I'd never dream of doing that! Maybe I should stop being so noble and start charging like other professions do...

wanet likes this.
  4. Futureleader

Futureleader Occasional commenter

I think I should charge any one who finds any of my posts useful. I should have about 47p now.

£27 for a fit to fly letter when my wife was pregnant. I am going to charge 32p for every internal examination paper I mark. 15p per book (Payable each fortnight). £12 for every confiscated mobile that I return. 10p for each tissue supplied to snotty kids, 15p for each biro, calculator, protractor, ruler that is lent from my own stash.

Jesmond12 likes this.