1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If she were my mother, I'd take her away and hide...What would you do?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by FrankWolley, Feb 18, 2016.

1. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...outh-africa-deportation-battle-myrtle-cothill

92-year-old widow who wanted to spend the “end of her days” with her only child in Britain has lost her battle against deportation and will be forcibly removed from the country next week.

Myrtle Cothill, who was born under the British flag in 1924, and whose father fought for Britain in the first world war, has been ordered by the Home Office to turn up at Heathrow on Tuesday for a flight to South Africa.

She has fought a campaign since last year to stay with her 66-year-old daughter Mary Wills in Poole, arguing she has no family in South Africa and is financially independent with her own £300 a month pension.

Immigration enforcers sent the removal order to Cothill on Tuesday and her family are now mounting a last ditch campaign to get it overturned.

The order stated: “You will be removed to Johannesburg, South Africa, before 29.02.2016. You will NOT be removed before 19.02.2016.”

An accompanying letter from Elizabeth Austin, Home Office immigration enforcement, tells the 92-year-old, that she is booked to deport on Virgin Atlantic flight VS601 to South Africa at 21:10 that evening.

Her daughter Wills, who holds a British passport, has said the enforcers “will have to kill me” before they take away her mother.

The former Tory MP Ann Widdecombe, who has taken up the case of the South African pensioner, has previously said the decision to deport her is “heartless in the extreme … the rule book has proved a brutal master instead of a useful servant.”

In an interview with the Guardian in December, Cothill said: “I don’t want to go. I’ve got nobody there and I am not well enough to travel. I’m very upset. I’m very old. I’m 92. I want to live with my daughter for the end of my days.”

Cothill, whose husband died more than 40 years ago, survived on her own in South Africa with the support of her friends and her local church. But as she got older and the network of support thinned, it became apparent to her that she needed to be cared for by her daughter in the UK.

She has an enlarged heart, suffers poor hearing and has lost the sight in one eye because of macular degeneration, but neither her condition nor her advanced age is enough to secure her the comfort of life with her daughter.

The Home Office said in December that Cothill’s application was rejected as her “condition was not deemed to be life-threatening” and that “suitable medical treatment” was available in her country of origin.

She has been in Dorset since February 2014 and made an application to the Home Office for leave to remain the country as an adult dependent on human rights grounds.

That application was refused and appeals unsuccessful, with one judge remarking that her daughter, who is a professional carer, was not a person of credit.

Her barrister, Jan Doerfel, said: “I do not think the decision is fair. Myrtle is clearly physically and emotionally dependent on her family life, and Mary and her husband cannot leave and go to South Africa to fulfil Myrtle’s needs, which were the basic needs of wanting to care for someone and wanting to be cared for by someone.”

2. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Bloody hell.
    Doesn't surprise me in the slightest though.

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Hit the easy targets... hit the law abiding who go through the systems...

Sillow and aspensquiver_2 like this.
  4. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

To answer the OP's question - yes, I'd take her away and hide somewhere. And I don't even LIKE my mother.

5. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

What an inhumane decision. I hope they manage to fight it successfully.

aspensquiver_2 and coffeekid like this.
  6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Devil's advocate? Moi?

• OK, she's come here to avail herself of a health service to which she has made no contribution.
    • S Africans come over here taking jobs away from highly-paid IT professionals and then just pass off back home when it suits 'em. (Just channelling my OH there. Oops.)

7. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

It always strikes me that the middle-class, comfortably well off are the ones who moan about these things the most.
    Maybe I'm being unfair.

8. grumpydogwoman

Yes, I can just see me being admitted to Australia as an OAP to live with my daughter. Or the US. Or Canada. Not going to happen.

9. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I think we'd all do a lot more for our own family that strangers.

10. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

That

11. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Data is data, right?

12. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Completely and utterly heartless. There is no compassion in this world any more and it saddens me.The authorities should be ashamed of themselves.

13. grumpydogwoman

But seriously. If my girls moved to Australia? Would I be allowed to go over there in my dotage? I don't think so.

14. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Not a chance! If I wanted to go I wouldn't be allowed in to go to live with my son and his family in Sydney.

15. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Probably not
    And that is a reason why we (the UK) should show the same lack of compassion?

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  16. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Having said that I can't make out why this old woman is being chucked out when all kinds of crooks and villains are allowed to stay because of their 'human rights'- like they've got a child they never bother about or a cat.

17. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Where would you hide with a 92 year old woman who will need a lot of medical attention?

18. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I'm sure I have friends I could stay with & keep moving around. Whilst family members mounted a publicity campaign.

19. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Some foreigner who ran over and killed a girl in Bradford whilst unlicensed and uninsured managed to escape deportation. I'd have hanged him with my own hand and yet this elderly person's life is about to be made much worse. Any explanation beyond "it's the law" would be most welcome.

20. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

The Home Office were happy enough to suggest that it wasn't an infringement of my Irish toddler's human rights to have his American mother deported (1st application for a Residence Card as spouse of EU National, refused). Although under EU law, I didn't need a Residence Card, my employer did); I only got it in the end by filing a formal complaint with the EU Rights Clinic. The Home Office have no compassion and go after the weakest but the UK government has to get permission to throw radical Islamic clergy out at the cost of millions. Sickening.​

I keep getting 'voluntary' deportation letters and started making sure that I had MrSk's passport and our marriage cert to hand as I was terrified every time there was a knock on the door.

The law is an ar*se but the Home Office are delighting in rolling around in its feces.....

HelenREMfan likes this.