1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

if schools return in june, will all staff need to go in?

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by pdilmaghani, May 1, 2020.

1. pdilmaghani

pdilmaghani New commenter

if schools do reopen in year groups, for the final 6/7 weeks, will all staff be required to go in? what happens if you dont teach said year groups? More importantly what if youre a foreign nationaly; i.e. canadian who went home in march when the virus and shut down started, if you come back to the uk youll have to sit in quarantine for 2 weeks.

Theres also the question of staff who live with a high risk person in their household?

I ask because my gf is canadian, ( we work a the same school) and shes teaching remotely at the moment (as we all are)

Doesnt make sense to drag someone back for a maximum of 4 weeks

2. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

I would expect that if the school reopens then she will have to be there or resign. I doubt that fleeing the country will be seen as a reason for none attendance.

3. pdilmaghani

pdilmaghani New commenter

I think you mean 'non' not none :)

'fleeing' the country is what all international teachers did at the school. It was recommended. Thanks for your opinion

4. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

A decent management team should be able to work out something flexible for you, if they see no real reason for you to come back. But that is a big 'if'!

Seeing how schools will be told 3 weeks in advance of the situation and this could well mean May 7th is when told of the re-start if June 1st as many believe, then you will (rightly) be told you have time to get back, get quarantined and get ready for frontline duties.

Mr_Ed likes this.
  5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I think this is probably a school specific question.
    Schools will do what they can to help, but at the end of the day, teachers usually need to be available to for work if schools are open.

border_walker likes this.
  6. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

It will depend on the arrangements for reopening. If not all pupils return at once, then staff may not all be needed. Some staff will need to remain away from school for health reasons. I imagine your girlfriend will be expected to return though unless there are issues with getting a flight back to the UK.

7. diddydave

diddydave Established commenter

More questions than answers on this topic...probably only questions and no answer as yet in fact.

On a rota system - having 1/3 (or 1/2 or 1/4 etc) of the students come in each day, is that sensible as it enables cross contamination to all of them within days...should they do two weeks each...with different staffing and deep cleaning between each fortnight?

If all of a year group (i.e. year 10) come in - will the classes be split to allow for greater spacing - will therefore the teachers of other year groups need to take them...so then what happens to the setting of remote work for those staying at home as even the best teachers cannot be in two places at the same time.

If you've ever experienced the disgruntled student setting off the fire-alarm to get out of a particular lesson or test how will the schools be planning to deal with those who see a similar opportunity in respect of this crisis?

jellycowfish and Catgirl1964 like this.
  8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

An emergency evacuation with social distancing...

I’d like to see the contingency plan for that.

And the risk assessment!

Keep safe everyone

9. diddydave

diddydave Established commenter

Being a little flippant so please excuse me...

We had different alarms so perhaps we need another...

The fire alarm: everyone out of the building by the nearest exit, gather on the assembly area and register.

The intruder alarm: everyone stays in their room, locks the doors and hides from view

The virus alarm: everyone goes to the PE showers, is hosed with soapy water and makes their way to the playing fields where they use corner flags to poke anyone coming within 2m.

10. caterpillartobutterfly

While staying 2m away from all those also hiding!!!

jellycowfish likes this.
  11. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Rumours are circulating that this distance length is going to be officially reduced to one metre.

Just as schools may be re-opening. Funny, that...

(It is the official WHO recommendation, to be fair)

BetterNow and ACOYEAR8 like this.
  12. caterpillartobutterfly

Ahhhh that's ok then... I can find places for my class of 3-4 year olds to hide while ensuring they are 1 m away from each other. No problem. None at all.

jellycowfish, Lalad and dumpty like this.
  13. averagedan

averagedan Occasional commenter

If you're required to go in or not depends on your school's policy. In my school's current draft plan, if she has no medical issue then yes she would be expected to go back - our head is reasonable so may be willing to work out something like a forfeiture of pay if she could still staff the school.

I'm not sure why you're girlfriend would only teach for 4 weeks though? We'll be given at least three weeks notice so that's plenty of time to fly back and quarantine for 2 weeks and still teach the whole of the final term.

14. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter