1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If schools close will we still be able to go in and teach small exam groups?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by bugsysmum, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

agathamorse likes this.
  2. Lalex123

Lalex123 Established commenter

We shouldn’t be setting this president that exams are more important than health. The DfE and exam boards will have a contingency plan in case students can’t sit or aren’t prepared for their external examinations.

People need to stop and think how their actions could affect others. If someone in my school suggests year 11s are in and I am forced to work despite close family with underlying health conditions, and then someone I live with contracts the virus through me and is seriously ill, I would forever feel guilty.

GreenTrees123 and jusch like this.
  3. Jeroniymo

Jeroniymo New commenter

Absolutely nailed it .... exams can be postponed ....

Health cannot

yasf and Lalex123 like this.
  4. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

I'm not senior enough in The Board so can't confirm - but, when we had a Maths paper leaked the other year, didn't The Board say "oh we've always got an alternative paper anyway so we'll just run that one"?

Therefore - surely all that's needed is for exams to run as normal, but there to be an alternative paper say 3 weeks later for those ill/self-isolating on the original date. It will require some alteration to examiner contract dates and a lot of work in the senior team to ensure that both papers are marked to an identical standard...

Lack of preparedness is another issue. I'd argue that A Level students should be prepared and independent enough* to be able to overcome this - but for GCSE it may well be a problem. Return of the autumn resits, perhaps?

(*yes, I have taught year 7s with more resilience and independent learning skills than my various Year 13 sets ;))

5. Lalex123

Maybe but what about controlled assessment? What about teacher absence? What about self isolation and incubation rates? Will parents really send their kids in if they haven’t contracted the virus yet, especially if they have underlying health conditions?

6. Jobalot

Jobalot New commenter

7. yasf

yasf Established commenter

As important as a Maths GCSE might be considered to be, it's no use if you're dead.

Please do try to keep things in perspective.

harsh-but-fair likes this.
  8. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

There won't be exams.

9. yasf

yasf Established commenter

Sensible - wish the IB would take a similar decision.

10. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

No exams. No need to worry

11. BrightonBoy

BrightonBoy New commenter

It staggers me that people worry about exams when people you know and love might die! Absolutely staggers me!

12. Lalex123

Absolutely, fully, 110% agree with this!!

13. bugsysmum

bugsysmum New commenter

Except that since I work in a special school it will be business as normal ............... but no exams to motivate them......

14. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

don't these two statements contradict each other?

15. bugsysmum

bugsysmum New commenter

Yes timing is everything, especially when the world has changed so quickly in such a short amount of time. Apologies to those who could see what I couldn't a couple of weeks ago, I understand the risks to health now and completely realise what a daft plan it would have been. However my head is requiring a full complement of teaching staff to turn up tomorrow for 8 children, well minus a full complement of SLT :-0 And honestly I am not joking . Our staff to pupil ratio will stand at around 3:1. I accept my foolishness but some at my school have yet to catch up.

agathamorse and Corvuscorax like this.
  16. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

Time to publicise this fact to parents and governors. Shame the bar stewards.

agathamorse likes this.