1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If schools close will we still be able to go in and teach small exam groups?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by bugsysmum, Mar 14, 2020.

1. bugsysmum

bugsysmum New commenter

As it's looking more likely that schools will close for some period of time before May I'm just thinking of alternative provision for students of teachers like me that only have very basic IT at home. Whilst I accept that it wouldn't suit a lot of teachers who will need to be at home with their own children or for other reasons and it shouldn't be compulsory if we have no daily contact with vulnerable groups do you think it would be possible to come in and run short sessions for small groups of exam students?
    I teach Maths and have several borderline students who are working so hard but still need teacher input. I was wondering what the position would be, I could make sure they washed their hands, used tissues and sat part from each other.
    Has anyone else thought about this or discussed it with their schools? Or is it just me?

2. colacao17

colacao17 Occasional commenter

Hmm. If schools close because they're officially told to, what are the inurance implications of having students in?

Could you go in to make use of the IT and teach them remotely without them being there?

If schools close over public health concerns, I'm not sure anyone should really be thinking of going in.

Catgirl1964 and phlogiston like this.
  3. bugsysmum

bugsysmum New commenter

I can see insurance might be an issue if it was just a single teacher on the premises and no doubt safeguarding too, but if there was someone else, office staff maybe? Schools presumably close due to vast numbers contained therein, surely if there were only a very few then that might work.
    Has anyone had schools suggest exam classes might stay in?
    Just concerned how the ones without any ICT at home, the most disadvantaged as it is, might be further disadvantaged. It just seems so unfair.

4. colacao17

Sorry, I read the basic IT as referring to you, not them.

In Italy, phone and internet companies are offering free data to help during shut down. It would be nice to think that would happen in the UK as well - most teens have at least a phone.

5. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

As soon as this provision was known, some parents who want to go to work (or just don't want their children at home) might well send their children into school, claiming they didn't have IT provision at home either!

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  6. bugsysmum

bugsysmum New commenter

@colacao17 I did initially but there's both sides I suppose, but yes they do have phones, so long as we can set something up that would work. Yes I know Italy has set up amazing systems to keep everyone going, there aren't any existing plans here , but then again we're not closing schools are we? o_O

7. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

Years ago it took me 2 days to set up Moodle, also populated it with existing content.

8. bugsysmum

bugsysmum New commenter

Can you video conference with Moodle? We have plenty of online resources it's the face to face teaching my students will miss out on.

9. install

install Star commenter

You may be hitting the right button - as they say. It seems reasonable to me to have a scenario whereby schools possibly stay open for exam students eg Yr11 only. Thereby Yr11 lessons continue for as long as possible. They are expected after all to turn up for their exams in May and June.

With less students in school as a whole it seems possible that small classes could be organised. However, I am not convinced that the UK Govt has that in mind.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  10. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

The whole point of closing schools is to stop the kiddies congregating. Why would you then encourage certain groups of kiddies to congregate. Makes no sense.
    In Czech Republic all non-essential businesses and shops have been closed. It was noticed that teenagers were congregating in the shopping malls so now the shopping malls have been closed.

yasf, Catgirl1964 and colacao17 like this.
  11. colacao17

This. When people refuse to abide by the 'recommendations' the recommedations have to become orders and be enforced.

12. install

install Star commenter

Sounds like your approach is blaming one age group? It is more about large groups of people.
    Either way, the UK approach seems to be in building up the immune response. Also, there may be some doubt about whether people will actually isolate themselves properly anyway.

13. moscowbore

No blaming of any group. The government just wants to stop public gatherings of any sort.
    The UK approach seems to be to encourage public gatherings to encourage the spread of the virus and just take the hit of deaths of vulnerable groups.

14. install

install Star commenter

I would disagree with you slightly there. Its not necessarily to 'encourage public gatherings' but to be calm and carry on as normal where possible. I suspect more changes will come into play once numbers grow .

I do agree the approach is to build up 'herd immunity' though.

15. install

install Star commenter

A spokesman from the Dept of Health has clarified this recently (acc to the bbc website):

'Herd immunity is not part of our action plan, but is a natural by-product of an epidemic. Our aims are to save lives, protect the most vulnerable, and relieve pressure on our NHS....

We have now moved out of the contain phase and into delay, and we have experts working round the clock. Every measure that we have or will introduce will be based on the best scientific evidence.

Our awareness of the likely levels of immunity in the country over the coming months will ensure our planning and response is as accurate and effective as possible."

16. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Do not do this.

It is not true that this virus is harmless for teens.

It is true that almost all survive the initial infection.

But around 1/400 will die

And no one has any idea what the long term affects on the survivors are. Look at other infections, like ebola - many "survivors" were left vulnerable and compromised and an unknown number died within a year or two of "recovering" becasue of a resurgence or a secondary infection anyway. This coronavirus is known to leave many surivors with scarred lungs, and decreased lung capacity. Who knows what the long term implications of that are?

If schools are closed for the safety, you do not want to be the person that over-rules that. What happens if transmission occurs in your "small exam group"? You want to live with that?

yasf, catbefriender and Catgirl1964 like this.
  17. moscowbore

I have been reading stuff from all over the world. Seems that survivors of initial infection show signs of permanent lung damage in some places.
    My problem with the uk government is that everything is on a 2 week delay. Actions now will not affect the people who are currently infected and will need hospitalisation in two weeks.
    2 weeks from now I do hope that we are not involved in a "I wish we took action sooner to avoid 10000 infections and 1000 deaths" debate.

catbefriender and Catgirl1964 like this.
  18. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

They might well have IT access at home but if Daddy never gets off online gaming and Mummy is playing online bingo, laptop availability is an issue.

jarndyce likes this.
  19. Lalex123

Lalex123 Established commenter

Herd immunity is a theory also. It’s not something that the WHO is pedalling because they are unsure of how the virus will cope being in large groups of people. There is a possibility it will be like the flu and mutate, or it may not. Herd immunity doesn’t work for the flu.

20. bugsysmum

bugsysmum New commenter