1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If references have been called for....

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tassiegirl, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Does that mean I'm almost certain of an interview?

I know that my Head and ex HoD will be writing very strong supports, so that helps!

:)

2. Does that mean I'm almost certain of an interview?

I know that my Head and ex HoD will be writing very strong supports, so that helps!

:)

3. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

No certainty about it I'm afraid

4. :( Really? How come? A long list, but not a short list?

5. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

No, it doesn't always mean an interview even when references are good. However MOST of the time it does mean you'll get an interview.

6. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

As there is no set procedure for listing candidates, some have a long 'short' list that they thin down through references before the interview stage
    However, it is a good sign that references have been called for - you have certainly cleared one hurdle

7. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

All sorts of reasons. Sometimes heads ask for references from most suitable candidates before properly shortlisting for example. Sometimes one thing they are looking for might not come up on your reference even if your reference is good.

8. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

If you don't it means your application was great and reference ****.
    Any job I've ever applied for and references asked for I've had an interview. Strictly speaking, I suppose, blah, blah, blah. If you don't get an interview, I'd be asking my referees for sight of my references.

9. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

nope last interview I had, the shortlisted, called for refs, then short listed again

10. mousey80

mousey80 Occasional commenter

There are fewer jobs at the moment because schools are trying to do without, so there is no guarantee that references being called will lead to an interview. But it is a good sign as has been said. At least you will know if you haven't heard by this time next week you don't have an interview as you have an idea of the pace. Good luck! Don't forget to go and tell Theo if you get a new job.

11. ok, thanks.

It's for a school on foreign shores, so my fingers are crossed. They said that we would know by Jan 16th if we were to be called for interview. I'd pretty much given up hope since Wednesday and then was told by both referees at 5pm this afternoon that they had been contacted!

12. Schools overseas are less predictable than schools in the UK. I once had a school ask for refernces after they had offered me the job.

13. Mangleworzle

Being offered a job at interview subject to references is very common. I have been asked to supply references for people in this situation and have telephoned referees on the day of interview for the successful candidates.

14. ian60

ian60 New commenter

Surely calling in references can only be seen as a + thing.
    Certainly better than not calling in references.

If you are confident you'll get decent references, then I think it is quite acceptable to keep a rosey outlook with regards an interview.
    Good luck.

15. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good luck TassieGirl - better go to JobSeekers, open the Welcome Thread and read the Interview clickables, just in case you are shortlisted after the long-listing.
    Just to clarify - this is not so for jobs in England and Wales, where the Statutory Guildance is that the references should be obtained, in writing, before the interview, so that points can be explored with candidates as appropriate.
    Best wishes.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

16. Mangleworzle

Guidance is one thing.....
    The last time I supplied a reference after appointment was last summer - in England.