Dear Theo, I am currently working on a temporary contract (been there a month), which expires in July. I have applied for another job, permanent contract this time, from September. If at interview I am offered the post, must I decide there and then? The thing is, I like my current school and would like to stay, if they wanted me to. Ideally, If I wasn't sure whether or I really wanted the job I've applied for, I would like to ask if I could delay the decision for a short period so that I could say to my present school, "I'm going to take this job unless you want to keep me on, decide now" or somesuch. Is this allowed? Or would it just annoy both schools? How long should i give my present school to offer me something before starting a serious hunt elsewhere? Many thanks! You've helped me make important decisions in the past. BW.