1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If offered a job, must I decide instantly?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by beachedwhale, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Dear Theo,
    I am currently working on a temporary contract (been there a month), which expires in July. I have applied for another job, permanent contract this time, from September. If at interview I am offered the post, must I decide there and then? The thing is, I like my current school and would like to stay, if they wanted me to. Ideally, If I wasn't sure whether or I really wanted the job I've applied for, I would like to ask if I could delay the decision for a short period so that I could say to my present school, "I'm going to take this job unless you want to keep me on, decide now" or somesuch. Is this allowed? Or would it just annoy both schools? How long should i give my present school to offer me something before starting a serious hunt elsewhere?
    Many thanks! You've helped me make important decisions in the past. BW.

2. Dear Theo,
    I am currently working on a temporary contract (been there a month), which expires in July. I have applied for another job, permanent contract this time, from September. If at interview I am offered the post, must I decide there and then? The thing is, I like my current school and would like to stay, if they wanted me to. Ideally, If I wasn't sure whether or I really wanted the job I've applied for, I would like to ask if I could delay the decision for a short period so that I could say to my present school, "I'm going to take this job unless you want to keep me on, decide now" or somesuch. Is this allowed? Or would it just annoy both schools? How long should i give my present school to offer me something before starting a serious hunt elsewhere?
    Many thanks! You've helped me make important decisions in the past. BW.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Not instantly, no, but almost so.
    A school has gone to the expense and effort of advertising and interviewing. It offers job to candidate A. If A decides after a few days to turn it down, then they offer to B. But alack! alas!, candidate B in the meantime has accepted another job offer...
    This is what schools fear.
    Most schools will offer the job by phone that evening or the next day, and expect an immediate answer to allow them to rush an offer to B if A turns it down. Some schools offer on interview day in the flesh, and expect an immediate answer. I know of several schools who put a written offer letter in front of the candidate and get them to sign an acceptance there and then!
    The very most that you could hope for would be 24 hours to think it over, I'm afraid. And you should be aware that some schools actually ask you at interview if you would accept the job if it were offered you. (The correct answer is: Yes, subject to satisfactory contractual arrangements).
    Your current school must know already, surely, that you are job hunting, as you will have asked the Head to be your referee? If you haven't asked yet, rush in first thing on Monday!
    The serious hunt begins now. Once they know you have applied for a job, if they wish to employ you they should be telling you. If they don't, then circumstances won't allow them to employ you, so sign up for the TES on-line Job Alret.
    Very good luck.