1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If new teachers are soon to get £30K minimum, what about more experienced teachers??

Discussion in 'Education news' started by mindthegap, Sep 6, 2019.

1. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

Just like other jobs? It’s the old fallacy of “you get 13 weeks, everyone else gets 4”.

For clarity.

Firstly, yes teachers get 13 weeks where they don’t have to teach lessons. But forgetting about the hours teachers work, I think we can say that most teachers work a minimum of 3 out of their 13 weeks ‘holiday’ every year, so now it’s 10 weeks vs 4.

But it’s not, is it. In my past life, before teaching, I started on 4 weeks holiday, but went up to 5. This is common. My other half gets six.

So now it’s 10 weeks vs 6.

Only it’s not, is it. Because all of the bank holidays bar one (May Day) are during teacher’s holidays. So most people get this on top of their holiday allowance. They amount to almost 2 weeks in days off.

So it’s 10 weeks vs 7 or 8.

That’s before we take into account the extra hours. And before we take into account that every single day of those holidays is fixed and completely outside a teacher’s control.

For clarity.

2. a1976

a1976 Occasional commenter

All I'm saying is, be prepared to put in extra work for any salary increases. Also, many (not all) need to start acting like professionals before you get anything more from the taxpayers. Let's not have the toxic environments that are created by many teachers (young and experienced), thus driving good ones out the door. How about EVERYONE carrying their weight in schools as well. I would wager there are more immature people in schools than professional ones including SLT. Also, as a former teacher (until last year), I took the job because I wanted to make a difference. Too many are in the professional because they are insecure about life outside school. People who are bellyaching about the pay chose to go into the profession. Also, the teaching profession is NOT the only professional out there. There are other people in the public sector who deserve pay rises too, not just teachers.

3. rama6363

rama6363 New commenter

4. rama6363

rama6363 New commenter

Another snowflake..

5. blushingberry

blushingberry New commenter

All I'm saying...

All you're saying is teachers don't work hard enough already. Well we do.

If they, or you, expect me to work 8 to 5 with only statutory leave, and then take home work in the evening, frankly i'd be better off in a factory working some overtime.

My 13 weeks are time in lieu!

agathamorse likes this.
  6. Sally006

Sally006 Occasional commenter

Oh dear. If what you say is true “Too many are in the professional because theyare insecure about life outside school“ —- ahhh! Just can’t be bothered to reply to this. It’s Friday.

cassandramark2 likes this.
  7. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

£30k? Experienced teachers can be in better positions to negotiate and take NQT posts without schools wanting to employ young teachers continually.

8. letap

letap Occasional commenter

As a former teacher from last year it appears you were not prepared to put in the extra work. To be frank your post reads like a rant against those who remain in the profession from someone who could not cut the mustard for whatever reason. It is rather rich of you to imply the insecurity of teachers who have shown the mental fortitude to remain in the profession - where as you have walked away. Nobody is debating whether others in the public sector deserve pay rises so I am not sure what you are trying to say here.

strawbs likes this.