1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If just one 'ideal' candidate applied for a job, would the school still advertise?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by splinters, Jan 22, 2016.

1. splinters

splinters Established commenter

I am just curious as it may help soothe my bruised ego.
    I applied for a job a few weeks ago as they were 'looking' for staff to develop an area of the school rather than for a specific role/start date etc.
    This week the post was advertised formally/nationally and so I contacted the school who told me my application was received and still being considered but, as they had almost no other applicants, they were advertising nationally to get more interest.
    Now, I realise they want to get the best possible candidate and I may not be it, but on paper I meet or exceed all the criteria, have higher qualifications than required, have a great deal of experience developing fledgling departments with success and can teach across a wide range of 'other' subjects as they have specified. I have many other skills and attributes necessary for the job as well as being local, I wrote a strong application with a clear E.S.and I am only 46 so I hope its not my age. If I fit all the criteria and they have had little or no other replies, I struggle to see why they would pay good money to advertise a role that has already attracted little attention.
    I anticipate that replies to this question will mean my ego will have to remain bruised but I just don't know how much better I could match this role. I also visited the school and, I seemed to get on with everyone I met. Of course, no one has said I am not suitable, I just struggle to see why it has been advertised. I should add that its a very small school.
    If i'm not at least considered 'ideal' for this particular role I think its time to leave the profession.

2. splinters

I have, of course, considered the ego in reverse..that, even if I was the only applicant and could happily do the job asked of me (and more), the school feels it deserves more potential staff should want to work there and apply for the role......

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No hard-and-fast rule here. But many schools have an expectation that they will interview a minimum of 5 candidates, so will re-advertise if the first trawl either doesn't bring in enough candidates, or doesn't bring in enough suitable candidates.

On the other hand, if a truly outstanding application was received, and not enough suitable candidates to make up an interview, a school might well interview that candidate to prevent him or her getting another job offer in the meantime. Which is why some advertisements mention that they may appoint before the closing date: someone exceptional applies, they interview immediately to see if s/he is as good in the flesh as they sound on paper.

Some schools will do that even if they don't say that they might do it.

Best wishes

4. splinters

Wise words as always @TheoGriff I guess that's the bruised ego part. Given what they are asking for I thought I would be an 'exceptional' candidate. There may be many others who can provide some of what the school is asking for but I cant imagine there will be many candidates who can do it all...and then some.
    Who knows, maybe its that 'expensive' thing again and they are hoping a cheaper option might present itself. Or maybe I am just not what they are looking for but, as I alluded to in my first post, if I don't fit the bill I would love to see who does. And please don't see this as arrogance, they are asking for quite a unique skillset and Its a set of skills (with experience) that I have.

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Have you had someone with headship experience look at the application you sent in? I ask, because there may be something in it that has put them off.

6. splinters

Not sure what you mean @Middlemarch...I have had a head teacher I know and an ex head of department look over previous applications and both said they would have no reservations in interviewing based on my applications. I have also used the advice given in the forums and avoided phrases like 'seeking a new challenge' to hone my application skills. I can see how I have 'missed opportunities' in the past but this one was carefully written referring to their own terminology. The application was very prescriptive and didn't allow for an E.S. It had to be 2 sides of A4 responding to two questions. I thought I did it very concisely.
    To reiterate, my application is still being considered but they wanted to attract more applicants. I am happy to PM you the details as it might make more sense.

7. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I'll take your word for it. I've seen a fair few applications with off-putting things in them that the writer didn't realise WAS off-putting, which is why I suggested it.

8. splinters

I sent you a message before I read your reply so apologies for it being unsolicited. Happy to send you what I wrote in the letter as well. It may well be that I am writing something wrong....after all, I fired off several applications using the phrase 'seeking a new challenge' before I realised that it could be misread.....