1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If it isn't a pun, what is it? Help wanted.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lurk_much, Feb 12, 2012.

1. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

Quick question. Chatting to a mate a moment ago about meeting in the Moon Inn for a pint this evening he said 'no thanks, it has no atmosphere' , ha ha.
    So what is the name for a conceptual pun?
    I thought a metonymy might cover it but he reckons not.
    Help.

2. lurk_much

Quick question. Chatting to a mate a moment ago about meeting in the Moon Inn for a pint this evening he said 'no thanks, it has no atmosphere' , ha ha.
    So what is the name for a conceptual pun?
    I thought a metonymy might cover it but he reckons not.
    Help.

3. He refused a pint...did he not appreciate the gravity of the situation?

4. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Could you be more specific about that?

5. The beer is only 1/6th the strength as it in the Queen's Head down the road.

6. ...or indeed, twice the strength of the beer in Bauble's Bar :¬))

7. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Barman asked young woman what she'd like. "Oh, a double," she said. "Double what?" "A double entendre." So, the barman gave her one.

8. Re. 'no atmosphere' - it's a metaphor isn't it..?

9. Oh, right - i didn't notice the name of the pub. In that case, I don't know.

10. A recursive pun?

11. ian60

ian60 New commenter

When I was a student in Coventry ( back in the early 80's) I would occasionally frequent a pub called 'The Godiva'
    It was (and quite possibly still is) refered to as 'The Dive'. because it really was a dive, an awful place reputedly built in a bomb crater.
    Does that count as one of the things Lurch is refering to?
    (Note to Blazer: Does this pub still exist?)

12. anteater

anteater New commenter

I don't see why it isn't a pun. [​IMG]

13. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

It was quite a punny statement.
    It's worse when what is said just isn't punny.
    [​IMG]

14. lurk_much

I am not sure either now. I thought it was too indirect. Somehow I feel a pun should use two definite meanings. The peasants are revolting is a straightforward pun. The moon has no atmosphere is a climatic fact. The Moon has no atmosphere is a subjective judgement. It has taken me a while - indefinite and definite works together. Yes it is a pun.
    But a bit more complicated. derrrr.
    where is that dunce sign[​IMG]

15. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I'd have said it was a play on words, and not worried any further...

16. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

I tried ten different plays on words to see how many would get a laugh. No pun in ten did.

17. Ian...no pub on Coventry called the Godiva. Do you recall whereabouts it was?

18. ian60

ian60 New commenter

I'm not at all suprised that it no longer exists, I have no particularly fond memories of it.
    If I recall correctly, it was somewhere near the Cov (or Lanch, depending how old you are) Poly library.
    (This was 30 years ago!)

19. I saw what you did there, Markuss..:¬))

20. http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&client=tablet-android-samsung&q=rosie+malones+coventry&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=mBc5T-TkLKrC0QWy8bnEAg&biw=1280&bih=800&sei=rRc5T63NM8as0QWAjq2nAg

Now called Rosie Malones...good to have friend s with old local knowledge :)

sorry op, don't know the answer to your question!