1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If it aint broke ...

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by Dominie, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Turns out the pre CfE system wasn't so bad after all ...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-12451893
    What will the new scenario of "broad general education" to end of S3 plus 5 subjects thereafter do to breadth of study which has always been the strength of Scottish education and which is praised by the Royal Society here.
    As usual, Josef Goebels, sorry Mike Russell, is on the spin ...
    "Curriculum for Excellence is encouraging new and innovative ways of
    teaching and I've already seen evidence of this encouraging more pupils
    to study science.

"Work to develop the new qualifications is currently being
    progressed by the SQA, who will be working with stakeholders as this is
    taken forward."

2. Where is this evidence? Less than a year into CfE, I'd like to know about the schools where pupils have returned choice forms for National Qualifications already.

Put up or shut up, Mr. Russell.

3. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Had a very worthwhile meeting today when a room of Music teachers "discussed" (for want of a better word!) Levels 4 and 5 - SQA wasn't mentioned in any the documentation we read. In fact, there seems to be no proper Exams (you know the type of thing - teachers guide pupils through information which gradually becomes more challenging until year 5, up till then they "work" on undecided as yet projects,called "Units" (i.e.similar to NABS we guessed) which are not graded before they arrive at Level 5, but they should have passed or failed - teacher has to decide) until Highers. Confused? Nah!! Looking forward to retirement? Yeh!!
    Seriously, there were loads of young, enthusiastic teachers present and it is such a shame that they will have to pick up the pieces after all this shambles. It did help to know that they are as baffled as us oldies!
    What is going to happen to the SQA when there are not so many exams? Surely it won't be cost effective to moderate/verify to the level which will be required with all this internal assessment?
    Worried times ahead?

4. There will be the same number of exams - less markers because some marking (ie at General Foundation level) which would have been done by paid markers will now be done in school by teachers as part of their daily job. Nice way to save some money there! Credit/Nat 5 pupils will still sit an exam in most subjects - is music different?

5. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Have set up a new thread on the new exams.

6. jonowen

We read/were told yesterday that the Level 5 Units would be graded A-D but internally assessed and no official exam. I know I have not got this wrong, as we talked about it at length and how our subject is being watered down yet again.

7. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

From the SQA website ...

To achieve the Music (National 5) Course, learners must pass the required Units,
    and achieve a grade of A-D in the Course assessment. The required Units are
    shown in the Course outline section.

Learners will draw on, extend and apply the skills they have learned during the
    Course. This will be assessed through a musical performance and a question
    paper

There will be options for learners to create and evaluate music using .
    technology or to create and evaluate a musical performance.

http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/files_ccc/CfE_CourseRationaleandSummary_N5_Expressivearts_Music.pdf

8. jonowen

Thanks for the link Dom, they miss out" internally assessed" - what we read yesterday was a much longer document outlining the units in detail (allbeit hard to comprehend!)

9. That's mental. How can they hope to maintain any kind of national standard and credibility? It seems odd to give different types of assessment for the same level - in small schools does this not mean pupils will be assessed by the teacher who has taught them for four years? I don't want to imply that teachers can't assess but I know how hard it is to remain objective with pupils you know really well.

10. "SQA uses the term "question papers" to refer to external examinations for Course assessment" http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/45528.html Is it just me or is information about this coming out in highly contradictory drips?