1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If interviewers are biased?.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by varda24601, Dec 13, 2011.

1. I work in a small school where there is currently a part-time teaching vacancy. Two supply teachers who currently work in the school have both applied for the vacancy. It is no secret that both of them have an interview for the job within the school, however the other day the PT was gossiping in the staffroom and making some personal comments about both the candidates – one she clearly likes, the other she doesn’t. She will be on the interview panel with the HT who is easily guided by her. I feel in a difficult position as she is clearly biased and has already made a judgement. The interview seems only a formality but I don’t think that’s fair. Is there anything I can do or should I just keep my mouth shut?

2. I work in a small school where there is currently a part-time teaching vacancy. Two supply teachers who currently work in the school have both applied for the vacancy. It is no secret that both of them have an interview for the job within the school, however the other day the PT was gossiping in the staffroom and making some personal comments about both the candidates – one she clearly likes, the other she doesn’t. She will be on the interview panel with the HT who is easily guided by her. I feel in a difficult position as she is clearly biased and has already made a judgement. The interview seems only a formality but I don’t think that’s fair. Is there anything I can do or should I just keep my mouth shut?

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I can see why you're on the horns of a dilemma - but I'd keep well out of it if I were you.