1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

if i were to be on the recieving end of abuse during hols......

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by hiddendavid, Jul 31, 2012.

1. hiddendavid

hiddendavid New commenter

ie, kids shouting things outside supermarkets when im with my family, is there anything wrong with finding their address from school and going to their house for a chat with parents?

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I personally would skip that and go to the police - Let them trot to their house and chat with their parents. Verbal abuse is a criminal offense.

3. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

It's also a public order offence. Let the police deal with it. Using information gained at work to deal with something outside work but still work related could get you into a whole lot of trouble under the Data Protection Act and more besides.

4. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

I agree with the above - I know of people who have been dismissed for using a ex-pupil's address to send them a letter - saying very innocuous things, but still, it was considered a breach of trust. It would be more powerful coming from the police if they will intervene.

5. ...or a punch on the nose by like-minded parents!
    Let the police deal with it!

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Errr YES!!! LOTS!
    If they have produced children prepared to shout abuse at people in the street they are not likely to listen to you are they?

Can you not speak to the children yourself when this happens? Obviously this depends on how many there are and how old they are.

If not then just speak to the police as others have said.

7. scientist555

scientist555 New commenter

Suggest, like others have, telling the police and also send your Headteacher an e-mail stating what has happened and that you have told the police.

If you have SIMS or another behavioural management logging device at school, log this against the pupil's name when you are back in school.

You can also contact your teaching union for advice on this.

8. scienceteacha

scienceteacha New commenter

What were they shouting? It depends on that to some extent.

Don't let silliness like this ruin your summer holiday. If you know the names of the kids involved, deal with it at the start of the new school year via SLT. You could e-mail them now but they may not respond, they may have f*cked off to some French chateau for the Summer.

Some may disagree with me on the last point but if you live in a smallish town and work there, erm, you will bump into students you teach! Generally its not negative but the majority of teachers have no desire to bump into any students they teach outside of the gates! Could you not shop at a supermarket in a different town next time?

Once I had my sexuality loudly questioned outside a cinema by a student I used to teach, unfortunately I had moved schools and there wasn't much I could do!

9. Totally disagree! It matters not the content of what they said nor how they said it.
    Everyone, regardless of their identity is entitled to move freely, without harrassment wherever they wish.

10. scienceteacha

scienceteacha New commenter

Would you rather have kids shouting Mr/Mrs XXXXXXXXX you're a brilliant teacher or Mr/Mrs XXXXXXXX you're a &^%$&% &^%&&^&!

11. I would rather have them shouting nothing at all!
    Why should anyone, regardless of their age, colour, sex, appearance, occupation, sexual orientation, religion, dress mode be allowed to be harassed by anyone?
    Why should anyone, going about their daily lives, shopping for food, have to be subjected to any form of abuse from anyone at all?
    That was the original question by the OP!
    Once you start using the term "kids" it conjures up imagery which might not be an accurate representation in the present question.

12. I would report it to the police, and let them know that you can identify the children involved and get their home addresses and dates of birth from SIMS if they need it. I would also inform the headteacher you have done so.
    If the police ask for the children's details and there is someone in school in the office that can look this up, then this can be done.

13. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Gove has made it clear that he expects heads to discipline children who misbehave outside school - and the fact that it's a member of staff makes it doubly so. I've disciplined pupils who have harassed staff outside school and have even given fixed-term exclusions for such offences.
    But do report it to the police, making clear you know their names through school. Also report it to the head - it would be nice to greet them back at the beginning of term with a suitable punishment.

14. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

I wish all SLT in schools were as supportive as above... I learnt from my very first teaching school not to live in the area where I teach for this for very reason, however, not always practical or possible to live somewhere else. Definitely report it to Police and SLT on return or even during hols, via email - even if they do not check email, you will have logged it. Hope it doesn't happen again and you can enjoy your hols.

15. As others have said, inform police and SLT. Do not indicate to the pupils in question that you are doing anything about it. Let them forget it (they undoubtedly will!) and get hit with it, by the police if they do anything, and by the school next term. It's possible the police already know them as PCSOs do work to get to know them out of school and they may well have a record already. It's surprising how many teenagers have had contact with the police, even youngsters who don't raise their heads in school.
    Do not, under any circumstances, use the school records to contact them yourself. You could find yourself in far more trouble than the children will.

16. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

I agree. Behaviour which causes 'fear, distress or alarm' on at least 2 occasions amounts to harassment under the Protection from Harassment Act. Make sure the police record it.