1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If I was to buy only one resource, what would you recommend?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by anon331, May 4, 2011.

1. I'm hopefully starting my PGCE in September and I've been look ing around and there are so many different books, packs and other resources to buy, can't possibly buy them all! So I thought Id try and find out which ones are the best and worth getting. In your personal opinion, as a teacher or PGCE student, if you could only buy one, which would it be?

2. I'm hopefully starting my PGCE in September and I've been look ing around and there are so many different books, packs and other resources to buy, can't possibly buy them all! So I thought Id try and find out which ones are the best and worth getting. In your personal opinion, as a teacher or PGCE student, if you could only buy one, which would it be?

3. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Firstly, we can't possibly answer your question as written - an MFL teacher might suggest match up cards of pictures with the german words but those wouldn't be high on the list for a reception teacher or a science teacher.
    So you do need to tell us what you're going to be teaching.
    But, in general, you shouldn't be considering buying anything at this, or maybe any, stage. You need to use a lot of your time in your PGCE experimenting and working out what seems to work for you and what doesn't.
    Chances are whatever schools you get placements in will have cupboards full of stuff that never sees the light of day because no full time teacher has the time to go through the cupboards and work out what's there, what still works and what it could be used for.
    You can use some of the gaps in your timetable to do exactly that and you'll most likely find all sorts of stuff that you can either use as is or modify a bit or have copied so there's a class set or whatever.

4. I'm doing a secondary ICT PGCE so this probably won't be much help for you, but maybe it will for other people...
    A GCSE ICT revision guide! And start revising, you'd be surprised how much stuff you think you know and then when it comes to it you're not completely sure. Your placement schools might not even teach the GCSE (my first placement school did DiDA) but that theory is invaluable and the revision guide is a good way to brush up your subject knowledge.
    I've also found I need loads of the obvious stationary - board markers, folders, plastic wallets, index cards, mini stapler, hole punch, glue, bright and colourful stickers!

5. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

I'm not trying to be funny, but how the heck to some ITT providers select their students?
    Part of the selection process for the course I did was to sit the current GCSE exam in your subject (in an informal setting)!

6. I'm doing primary and we got told to buy puppets. They are pretty useful. I bought a grandma and granded set from Amazon. Type 'the puppet company' into the search and a whole family of puppets comes up for around £22.

7. Excuse me!?
    Part of my interview was also to sit an exam. I also took an A level exam when I started the course (which I did well in).
    However one of the issues a lot of the people on my course had was that with computing degrees and having worked in industry for 5+ years our language and knowledge is above that which we would teach. For example the way you learn databases at university, or use them in a business, is much more complicated than how it would be taught at GCSE level, or to a year 7.
    I am not saying I didn't know this stuff, I am very confident in my ability. However, I do think getting a GCSE revision guide is a good idea.
    I'm surprised that you are so confident in your ability that you knew the GCSE syllabus inside out before you even started you course.