1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If I should die whilst on Supply...

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by magic surf bus, Mar 2, 2011.

1. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

No, not an unpublished first draft from Rupert Brooke, but a genuine query, and not one prompted by an imminent Friday afternoon in a Special Measures School with Y11 bottom set Maths and no work set.

Seriously though, would I be considered 'In Service' if I were to turn up my toes whilst working as a paid to scale supply teacher with an LEA employee number and monthly LEA payslips with Teacher's Pension deductions?

At what point as a supply teacher am I considered not to be 'In Service', thus denying my widow the TP In Service Death Grant? Am I 'In Service' if working for an Agency?

(This query has also been placed in the Pay & Conditions thread)

2. magic surf bus

No, not an unpublished first draft from Rupert Brooke, but a genuine query, and not one prompted by an imminent Friday afternoon in a Special Measures School with Y11 bottom set Maths and no work set.

Seriously though, would I be considered 'In Service' if I were to turn up my toes whilst working as a paid to scale supply teacher with an LEA employee number and monthly LEA payslips with Teacher's Pension deductions?

At what point as a supply teacher am I considered not to be 'In Service', thus denying my widow the TP In Service Death Grant? Am I 'In Service' if working for an Agency?

(This query has also been placed in the Pay & Conditions thread)

3. I believe that to be in service according to the GTC a person has to be working as a teacher and that does include supply teachers.

4. Your work for a private agency doesn't count towards a service record so far as TP are concerned.

5. magic surf bus

It's not the GTC who pay the employer's contribution though - I'm concerned about how the employer defines 'In Service'. I assume recognised service is only that which is done for an employer who pays into the TP scheme?

6. veritytrue

veritytrue New commenter

I'd probably contact TPS if I were you for the definitive answer.

7. magic surf bus

It was a phonecall to TPS this afternoon that prompted the question. they seem to think it's employer's discretion.

8. You would be "in service" if you dropped dead as an employee for that particular educational establishment e.g. school/college as an LEA supply but if you were employed by an agency one wonders what obligations the agency would have? Statutory sick pay would be an entitlement if you survived?