1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If I see that bloody sprout again, I'll scream!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lascarina, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

What is the point of that sprout advertising togetherness on the BBC? I am sick of the sight of it and the idiotic tag line 'nobody loves a sprout'.

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I thought this was going to be about the other advert sprout where the wee girl chases it through various films.
    My OH loves a sprout. More than one, even.

needabreak and ScotSEN like this.
  3. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Quite. 'Nobody loves a sprout' is complete bunkum.

4. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Absolutely. I remember a poll last year on the telly (I think that they were hoping that nobody liked sprouts and that they could then make fun of the humble veg) but it turned out that the vast majority liked them! (As do I)

And as for that girl chasing the sprout: what a rude little madam! (Are all children ill-mannered on tv ads? It sometimes seems so to me)

5. Noja

Noja Senior commenter

I love a sprout too, especially cooked with bacon. The advert is pants.

6. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Yep. I wonder how much it cost of the licence payers' money to make it.

7. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I've not seen the advert, but this thread has had me in stitches.
    Sprout is Mr K's nickname for me :) Well, one of them.
    And I love sprouts too.

Lascarina likes this.
  8. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I reckon you'll have to put up with it until the end of the festive season.

9. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Sprouts have been the butt of Christmas jokes for as long as I can remember and this turned into a period where sprouts became unpopular often because people didn't like to admit that they actually liked them.

They do seem to have retained a few die-hard fans and the numbers of those are now increasing from the few surveys I have seen on the subject (and the odd cookery programme)

As usual the BBC are a few years behind current trends and are still wedded to the "no-one loves a sprout" cliché

At this point I feel that I should, in all honesty, declare an interest.
    I quite like sprouts and always have

cissy3 likes this.
  10. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Apparently we're going to see a lot more of sprouts this year.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...hristmas-november-shopping-food-a6753516.html

"Brussels sprouts larger than golf balls will be hitting the shops ready for the festive period, UK supermarkets say.

The abnormally large, and often controversial vegetables, are expected to be up to a third bigger and weigh more than double an average sprout.

Experts say the unusually warmer weather this autum had seen sprouts grow an extra 20 per cent larger.
    November has seen temperatures as high as 15 degrees in the UK.

It has been the second mildest November on record, after November 1994.

Temperatures have been around 2.5C warmer than the average weather for this time of year

As a result, sprouts will measure 1.6 inches (4cm) wide and 1.8 inches (4.5cm) long. Sprouts typically measure 1.2 inches (3cm) wide and 1.4 inches (3.5cm) long.

But unfortunately for children, the larger sprout size will make them even harder to eat as research shows a child’s average mouth size is 1.8 inches (4.5cm) wide."

11. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I daresay they could be cut in half. (The sprouts, not the children)

12. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I love sprouts but the TV sprout doesn't actually look like one. Epic fail. (But the wife loves it.)