1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If I have Garageband, do I also need Pro Logic?

Discussion in 'Music' started by linber, Jun 3, 2012.

1. linber

linber New commenter

I'm lucky that my department is having a new suite of Apple Macs in September. My school can't afford to get the full Pro Logic, and the person in charge of ICT has suggested getting the cut down version of Pro Logic instead.
    However, my music teacher has said we don't really need Garageband AND Pro Logic.
    I'd like some additional advice, please!

2. Leaving aside that Logic Pro is not prohibitively expensive £140, Garageband offers great potential and will meet many needs, if not all. That said, particularly if you are working at secondary/higher level I'd suggest that you do need Logic Pro. As well as offering greater resources and flexibilty to your more advances student you create an effective continuum through which your students can move.
    Also, Logic Studio is a different and far more expensive resource. Perhaps your ICT people and music teacher are a tad confused and might appreciate a little help from one of their students/ assistants/ colleagues ( delete as appropriate)
    Here's a useful link to prosecute your argument with: http://www.apple.com/uk/logicpro/garageband-to-logic/

3. Hi Linber,

I was in exact same position last year and opted for Logic Pro and Garageband. Logic Pro offers so much more in terms of recording and editing. We have used both programmes extensively this year and was more than worth the cost.
    Enjoy your new toys! It has helped transform the teaching in my department and a fantastic resource.

4. dropje

dropje New commenter

Does anyone have any guidance for Logic?
    We have it and I want to start using it but am getting frustrated (to say the least)
    Any docs would be really really appreciated.

I am an absolute beginner! (Although I am not a techie novice)

5. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

Go to your local apple store and ask for help.
    I am sure they all do training.