1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If I get rid of AQA computing....

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by coleman01, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    Wondered if anyone could offer advice. Thinking of getting rid of A-Level computing (AQA) given the massive (and very stupid) complexity of A2 (Comp3 and Comp4).

I wondered if anyone suggested any better alternatives. I know OCR and WJEC do similar courses, but I would rather listen to the voice of the people. I want a course that actually develops good programming skills (like comp1 of AQA) and also provides good results (which Comp3 and Comp4 with the degrees of complexity does not seem to for us).

Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks.

2. Hi all,
    Wondered if anyone could offer advice. Thinking of getting rid of A-Level computing (AQA) given the massive (and very stupid) complexity of A2 (Comp3 and Comp4).

I wondered if anyone suggested any better alternatives. I know OCR and WJEC do similar courses, but I would rather listen to the voice of the people. I want a course that actually develops good programming skills (like comp1 of AQA) and also provides good results (which Comp3 and Comp4 with the degrees of complexity does not seem to for us).

Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks.

3. WJEC allows you to develop programming skills as much or as little as you like. The CG2 project is class based and provides a set scenario for all students to address.

The CG4 (A2) project is individual.

The theory is a lot more accessible, especially the AS material. I found AQA really interesting as a teacher, but the students found it tough.

HTH

4. Thanks for that. Will reinvestigate WJEC again. It may be worth looking at. AQA is just so difficult to interpret as a teacher, never mind student.

5. rubikwizard

rubikwizard New commenter

We have found it to be a great course. Students love it and good results so far. I agree that A2 can seem very complex but I had a student this year who has applied (and got in) to a uni to read Computer Science. When he went for his interview he was told that he would get the place if he scored a grade A in Computing but only because he was taking the AQA version of it. Otherwise they would have ignored it and required higher grades in his maths/physics etc.

6. My AQA computing results too were pretty disappointing too. Not sure whether it is the quality of our intake or the fact that they students completely lack any prior idea of programming (I wonder how much this matters).
    I'm giving it one more go, I'll throw every resource I can muster at it, if the results don't improve, I'll have to throw in the towel.
    Any advice would be much appreciated.

7. SageDerby

SageDerby New commenter

My AQA AS Computing results were better than I had feared as I had a particularly weak group this year, quite a few have an average GCSE points score of less than 5, but my pass rate was 90%.
    They generally did better in Comp1 - the programming exam - than in Comp2 but we did spend a long time practising Section B and Section D questions under exam conditions.

8. I have some VB resources and a revision guide for COMP1 over on my website if you think they might be of some use.