1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If I attend a governor's meeting late at night and have no car should I claim taxi expenses?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by headdown, Jan 26, 2011.

1. It is £40 in a taxi

2. I'm the head by the way

3. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I would think it counts as part of your normal ht duties and is therefore not something you should claim for.
    if you had a car would you claim for petrol?

4. petrol doesn't cost £40 for a 20 mile journey!

5. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

No, but you'd be claiming for something which is a normal part of your working day, you can't claim expenses to travel to and from your normal place of work. Have you thought of asking for a lift?

6. But it's not my normal working day. I don't work til 10pm as a rule. If someone gave me a lift they would be going a 40 round trip out of their way.

7. 40 mile

8. Sorry to ask, but how do you usually get to and from work; attend meetings at other locations etc.
    cg is correct, you can't claim expenses for your journey to work and home again.

9. I go be train and bus and happy to do so but public transport is rare after 9pm.

10. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

It's part of your normal working day when there are governors meetings.

11. by not be. I sound like Im from Somerset

12. Presumably you are new in post, or this would have been resolved by now>
    Suggest meetings are scheduled to start earlier in the evening. Our GB meetings start at 6:30 and are always over by 8:00.

13. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

You could claim it as a governor if the GB has an expenses policy that allows it.

14. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

As the head teacher you would know that your hours are not contained by the regular school day. You would also surely have some influence on the time meetings are scheduled.

15. leadlearner

leadlearner New commenter

While I appreciate this is frustrating it is part of your job. Although £40 sounds expensive in light of the expenses I have had taxing my car, and getting the MOT done this week, it doesn't sound such a raw deal.
    I think if you choose to work in a location without good transport links then unfortunately you have to accept this. It is easier to be a non driver living and working in a city school with good transport links, although of course cost of living and housing is so expensive. You win some you lose some by the circumstances of where you choose to work and live.

16. mychuck

mychuck New commenter

I agree that you will have to accept it as part of the job unless you can reschedule the timing of some of your meetings. I wonder what you'll do when you have late parent's consultations and PTA type events.
    As part of my role [I also do some work on behalf of local heads] I don't claim expenses and although some people will frown upon this it all depends on your school's financial position. I gain a great deal of experience with working with others and I don't see why my school should pay for that.
    Were your governors aware of your transport arrangements/complications?

17. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It is part of a headteacher's working day and as others have said, given that you can't claim petrol if you drive or bus fare if you get the bus, why should it be any different if you happen not to have a car?

18. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I shall refrain from suggesting that the OP purchases a good quality sleeping bag and camping mattress and stays overnight or (alternatively) gets real.
    Er...
    Oops, just done that.

19. I was under the impression that hts don't have to be part of the governing body if they don't wish to be?

20. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

This is true Gruffster but I would suggest that it would be a foolish head who opted not to be a governor. I think it would really hold the school back.
    Presumably the op knew about transport issues when they took the job and really should have taken that into consideration when applying.