1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If I am offered a job, can I ask to come and see the school again?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by legs_lwhite, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Had an interview at a very prestigious school last week. Lovely staff, good SMT, but I wasn't that impressed with the students in the lesson I taught. If I am offered the post, or called back for a second round, is it unreasonable to ask to have another look round or does it seem too fussy? Its a residential job so would be my whole life if I'm not happy!

All thoughts welcome
    Thanks.

2. Had an interview at a very prestigious school last week. Lovely staff, good SMT, but I wasn't that impressed with the students in the lesson I taught. If I am offered the post, or called back for a second round, is it unreasonable to ask to have another look round or does it seem too fussy? Its a residential job so would be my whole life if I'm not happy!

All thoughts welcome
    Thanks.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Remember if you got the post you would start to relate to these pupils.
    So why weren't you impressed? Lack of discipline? You could change that. Didn't relate to them? Well that's very difficult to do in such a short time-frame? Was it just in the 'lesson' ( ditto) or generally round the school-more of a potential problem.
    If it's a prestigious school & you're used to a different envornment, was it just that these pupils were more confident than you're used to?
    Were you not asked at the end of the interview 'Are you still a firm candidate for the post?' If you're uncertain You may have to bite the bullet & acknowledge this might not be the right school for you - however prestigious.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Lara's points are valid ones.
    If uncertain - is it right for you?
    Certainly you can ask to come and visit again, but this might delay you accepting the offer, and the school might be unwilling to let this go on any longer, in case the second candidate in line gets an alternative job meanwhile.
    Although uncertainly is important, it's also true that you saw only a small proportion of the pupils. Can you imagine one class in your current school that you would find off-putting?
    Did you get an overall feel to the school that was positive, or was your reaction uncertain, so that this class was in many ways the final straw?
    Only you can answer these questions, so I think that asking to visit again would be the only way to clarify this. If they say "No", then the decision is made for you!
    Best wishes
    There is now another seminar on Applying for Senior Leadership on 13th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop17.eventbrite.com
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

5. Thanks both of you for your answers. My impression of the students I taught was that they were very casual, in that where I am now students are very confident and courteous and this was not the case. As you say hard to know whether this is typical, or tolerated. Results are very good, SMT very strong so it may just be a different feel to what I am used to and an ishy class.I am confident that if I was their teacher I would get them engaged quite quickly.
    If I'm called back I will ask for a pre-visit, and explain that I would like to have more sense of the School and where it's going. If they are not able to offer that then I would say no.
    Thanks again for your advice.